Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default EF key, looking to duplicate

Hello I have this key that I am trying to duplicate.
    The marking says EF. My local locksmiths do not have this key.
    Ive looked online and found Schlage makes an EF key but it looks different. It looks mirrored.

Thanks for any input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

That looks like a Best brand key. That being said, Best now owned by Stanley has a lot of restricted key blanks . I'm not sure of yours, but it's a very good possibility that yours could be one. If so, you would have to go back to the original purchaser or locksmith who installed or sold the lock to get a duplicate key or blank.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Best keys can be had from many locksmiths. You might have to call around to find one. I know we stock the standard, T and W series and can get others.

Thanks for the replies. The few locksmiths I went to just said "no I don't have that." They didn't say "I can get it though."

I guess I will keep calling other locksmiths and see if they can get me that key.

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Nickel View Post
    Best keys can be had from many locksmiths. You might have to call around to find one. I know we stock the standard, T and W series and can get others.
    I believe EF is a multi-milled composite blank that fits both Best E and F keyways. These may have been specially made for a institution that had both E and F keyway cores and wanted a single key which would fit them both. Although Best Access Systems (now Stanley Security Solutions) traditionally sold direct to the end-user, they now also distribute product through several of the locksmith wholesalers. It might be possible to special order these multi-milled blanks, but I'm sure there are minimum order requirements.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    I believe EF is a multi-milled composite blank that fits both Best E and F keyways. These may have been specially made for a institution that had both E and F keyway cores and wanted a single key which would fit them both. Although Best Access Systems (now Stanley Security Solutions) traditionally sold direct to the end-user, they now also distribute product through several of the locksmith wholesalers. It might be possible to special order these multi-milled blanks, but I'm sure there are minimum order requirements.

Pete Schifferli
    I checked with interchangeable core guru and author Bill Lynk who affirms that EF is indeed a multi-milled sectional master. There are a large number of other possibilities, and they can be made to order to fit as many as five different keyways. The institution that owns the cores and keys surely has the EF blanks on hand. One could always duplicate the EF on both E and F keyway blanks and those two keys would then fit all cores which the EF does. See link for pdf of some of the many Best keyways:
    http://www.jmcsecurity.net/pdf/BestKwy.pdf

Pete Schifferli

Thank for the responses and that link. I guess I will contact my landlord for a spare. I could always try an E or F key.

thanks again

Default Best EF keys

Our forum sponsors have these in stock - contact details just below the header at the top of the page...

Default EF key, looking to duplicate

Took a good look as the key as first time seen an EF stamp on the key. The FS41 is the code number cut and pinning for cylinder from Stanley as given to Locksmith. I don't think you going to have problem to get a duplicate key. Just as long as it doesn't have any stamp on the key that read BEST U.S. GOV'T DO NOT DUPLICATE or DO NOT DUPLICATE. There may be other company has some stamp on it....Timothy....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Took a good look as the key as first time seen an EF stamp on the key. The FS41 is the code number cut and pinning for cylinder from Stanley as given to Locksmith. I don't think you going to have problem to get a duplicate key. Just as long as it doesn't have any stamp on the key that read BEST U.S. GOV'T DO NOT DUPLICATE or DO NOT DUPLICATE. There may be other company has some stamp on it....Timothy....
    Au contraire...that is not a code but rather an arbitrary number used to identify the key for the end-user. If is not possible to generate a cut key from that "code". The end-user might have the proprietary information to cross that number to the actual bitting of the key.

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information