Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Stymied with Padlock Identification

Hi all - new user here. I'm a "casual" lock and key collector. Been picking up those that I like for the last 50 years, but I really just go by what amuses me and I've never seen before. A few years back I came across a brass padlock. I'm including some photos. Any help in who it was made by - or even just what it's called, and approximate age would be much appreciated. Does not have a key. Measures 1.8 inches across.

Thank in advance for any help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010224.jpg  

You're not alone. I've never seen anything like it either. A possibility is that it's not actually a padlock - but an early prototype of the modern thumbcuffs.

Could this be a chain lock?

Default Stymied with Padlock Identification-

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Could this be a chain lock?
    Yes, that's another possibility. However, I think a conventional shackle could work just as easily without 2 holes.

Scott, I'm thinking it's a sprocket lock for a bicycle. Being as how the size is pretty small, it would be awful small for a regular chain lock, but it looks about the right size to fit over a bike chain and through the sprocket. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Interesting! Still another plausible possibility.

The more I look at it, the less it seems to be a thumbcuff. Cuffs are usually adjustable for the wide variety of hand and finger sizes. This one does not appear to be adjustable at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    The more I look at it, the less it seems to be a thumbcuff. Cuffs are usually adjustable for the wide variety of hand and finger sizes. This one does not appear to be adjustable at all.
    True. But what I suggested was that it was perhaps an early prototype of thumbcuffs. Early handcuffs such as the Darby type were not adjustable and were produced in different sizes. Of course, my suggestion is just one possibility. Admittedly, I've never seen this lock before, and really don't know why it has two openings on its shackle.

Scott, The origional post stated that the dia. was 1.8", which would meen that the 2 slots would be around 3/8"-1/2" wide, not hardly big enough to put a thumb into. I'm still sticking to my origional idea of a sprocket lock. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thanks for the thoughts on the mystery padlock. I thought it was pretty unique when I came across it - your responses have confirmed that! I guess I'll just have to speculate for a bit more on what the maker had in mind! Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
    Jon

Thread Information