Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default cotterill padlocks

hi
    does anyone know anything about cotterill acme padlocks?

my mum used to run a post office and I guess it was something to do with that

Nice padlock! I have a Cotterill's patent acme key, but unfortunately don't have the lock that goes with it. I will share what I know. In 1890, Edwin Cotterill took over the F.E. Wilson & Co., and began making Peter Wilson's lock that he patented in 1869. The patent number was 3257. An early advertisement listed this type of lock as "Wilson's Patent Acme Locks." It was made as both a padlock and a rim lock.

Default cotterill locks

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klemm View Post
    Nice padlock! I have a Cotterill's patent acme key, but unfortunately don't have the lock that goes with it. I will share what I know. In 1890, Edwin Cotterill took over the F.E. Wilson & Co., and began making Peter Wilson's lock that he patented in 1869. The patent number was 3257. An early advertisement listed this type of lock as "Wilson's Patent Acme Locks." It was made as both a padlock and a rim lock.

thanks. it says Wilson patent 1 on the lock. together with the number 2251. any idea how old this one would be. it has strange half barrel type key

Default cotterill locks

thanks. it says Wilson patent 1 on the lock. together with the number 2251. any idea how old this one would be. it has strange half barrel type key

Sorry. I'm unable to give you an exact date for your padlock. My guess is it could be dated anywhere between 1890 and the 1920s.

Thread Information