Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

will get the 14 key ..are there any change instructions available ????

got the key on ebay ...should be here in a few days

Quote Originally Posted by patq View Post
    will get the 14 key ..are there any change instructions available ????
    I don't have any instructions for this model of lock. The first thing to do is become familiar with opening the lock normally, which means discovering the proper combination. As I described earlier, you should also seek out the change-key-hole in the front of the lock case; hopefully this will line up with the holes in the wheels when you dial the combination. You'll need to ensure the change key fits properly and drops into the hole in the front of the lock case; some careful modification may be needed since this is a very old lock and the key is probably not specifically made for it.

I'll attach instructions for a contemporary lock merely as a general guide. We don't even know if the key is to be rotated left or right at this point.

630-145_zero_change_3w.pdf

As a valuable reference, I spotted an eBay auction for a lock like the one on your safe. The images might be valuable, as yours is an exploratory/experimental task to determine exactly how to operate the lock and how to change the combination.

One detail that I wondered about is whether your lock has 3 wheels or 4 wheels. The lock on eBay has 4 wheels and I suspect yours does too.

Here are three of the images:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diebold round 1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	12780 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diebold round 2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	12781 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diebold round 3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	12782

The third one is particularly interesting because it shows the front of the lock, normally hidden, including the hole that the change key needs to drop into for proper operation.

Name:	Diebold round 4.jpg 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	12783 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diebold round 5.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	12784 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diebold round 6.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	12785

The next two, above, are interesting because they show the lock cover. I assume the tab partially covering the change key hole has something to do with ensuring the key is inserted correctly. The last image clearly shows this to be a 4-wheel lock.

The auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251801206455

from what I am reading I think 3 of the wheels are for the 3 number combo and the 4th wheel is a drive wheel attached to the dial by the shaft ..I will bring the safe home tomorrow (I will eat my wheaties )ha ha .I wonder how much this bad boy weighs ..Once home I can work on it .I will remove the inner door cover and set up a nice bright light ..Hopefully I will get the change key by sat....SLC_14 ...appreciate all the help ...this is kind of cool learning the workings of an old safe ..below is some info I got online

QUESTION: here is a pic of the wheels and the change key hole I think ..someone told me it is a SLC 14 key that is needed...thanks Pat

Answer:
    Yes that should be it. It is a "K" lock, 3 wheels and changeable drive wheel, using the top "0" index mark for changing. The lock back cover needs to be installed when setting the new comb. The direction the key gets turned is dictated by the stop on the cover. Obviously you have to have all the wheel change hubs aligned to insert the key. Dial in your new comb, 4L-3R-2L-1R or 4R-3L-2R-1L either way will work, just remember which sequence you use. Reverse the key back to remove. Always try the comb several times with the door open before closing it.

Got the safe moved to my brothers..wow heavy little box..ha ha ..hope to have the change key tomorrow slc14 ..here are a few more pics

Name:	safekevin (1).jpg 
Size:	406.1 KB 
ID:	12793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safekevin (2).jpg 
Size:	354.5 KB 
ID:	12794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safekevin (3).jpg 
Size:	414.4 KB 
ID:	12795Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safekevin (5).jpg 
Size:	488.9 KB 
ID:	12796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safekevin (6).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	452.7 KB 
ID:	12797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safekevin (7).jpg 
Size:	459.6 KB 
ID:	12798

need to clean it up and tighten a few bolts and screws ...will spend some time on it tomorrow

WYLK ...thanks for all your help you da man ...the question and answer I put in a few posts back was from Doug MacQueen

Quote Originally Posted by patq View Post
    ..below is some info I got online

QUESTION: here is a pic of the wheels and the change key hole I think ..someone told me it is a SLC 14 key that is needed...thanks Pat

Answer:
    Yes that should be it. It is a "K" lock, 3 wheels and changeable drive wheel, using the top "0" index mark for changing. The lock back cover needs to be installed when setting the new comb. The direction the key gets turned is dictated by the stop on the cover. Obviously you have to have all the wheel change hubs aligned to insert the key. Dial in your new comb, 4L-3R-2L-1R or 4R-3L-2R-1L either way will work, just remember which sequence you use. Reverse the key back to remove. Always try the comb several times with the door open before closing it.
    the above is from Doug MacQueen

worked on the safe today..the old combo that the guy gave me was off by a couple numbers .the first and 3rd numbers were off by 2 and 1 .Need to clean it up and tighten up a few loose bolts .The change key didn't arrive today.the postal gorilla's must have been busy.ha ha

Got the change key today . The safe is at my brothers(I got the safe for him) so I havent tried it yet .We will be snowed in till wed at least ...forecasting 30 " of snow by the end of Tuesday..My safe is a big double door made by "The Safe Cabinet Co" Marietta Ohio I took a look at the lock and it is a hand set with fly's. Has a "B" fire rating .Label says S-cientest "B "how long is that rated for??

Thread Information