Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Circa 1874-1892 lever lock for Pauly Jail Co.

Weeks ago I was referred to the Old Liberty County Jailhouse in Hinesville, Ga, by another locksmith to fabricate keys for the the front door of the Jail (now a museum) which was constructed in 1892. The cells are clearly marked Pauly Jail Building Co. They had three original keys, one of which it turned out was the front door key, that had just become so badly worn that while it DID operate the lock with a fair amount of jiggling on my part. They also expressed interest in getting some of the individual cell blocks operable for demonstration purposes. The front door I simply built up the key through brazing and managed to get it working as smoothly as possible (considering I could only work with the key, the lock case was actually brazed to the steel door)

The lower cell block control box was MUCH easier, as it was just bolted on, but this is the one that has me REALLY scratching my head.

Both locks use the same key blank. They are HUGE (aprox 5 inches in length total) iron barrel keys. Both front door and cell block control box have four (again huge) brass levers, (nothing too special in the design, except for the size) however the cell block control box lock ALSO incorporates a sliding keyway cover, which is operated by dialing a combination... Sadly, the dial was long lost. The wheel pack for the combination lock is a typical screw fly design, two brass wheels and is separate from the control wheel, no false gates or lands (not that I'd expect them) but here's the confusing part... The wheels have letter indicators instead of numbers. The cell block controls are the Pauly's Sept. 15, 1874 patent design, it's both marked with a plaque and I confirmed it from the original patent drawings.

At first I was thinking it was an old Dodds, MacNeale / Urban (some combination of them) since that's what I USUALLY think when I see well made wheel packs with letters from that period, BUT...

1. These letters go from A to Z in a COUNTERCLOCKWISE pattern, and I have YET to see one of the above listed that doesn't go clockwise.
    2. There's only two combo wheels and a control wheel, meaning only two digits in the combination before engaging the control wheel (or three if you include the turn till stop letter).... most of the above mentioned I've seen have three wheels meaning a three letter combo before turn to stop (four letter word if you include the stop)

In addition to just satisfying MY curiosity, I figure if I can track down who made the wheel pack, I would be able to track down the lever lock manufacturer (if they're even different companies) and finding more keys would become easier. Ideally the customer would like a full set of keys (and I'd love to see and record dimensions of a full set for fabrication in the unlikely, but possible around here, event I should every seen another one of these locks)

ANY information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek

Default Continued...

I contacted the modern business offices for the Pauly Jail Building Co. and while they are "extremely interested", sadly (and predictably) they have no records going back that far... and of course other then the patent information for the lower cell block controls, there's been no information on original component manufacturers.... This is one of the things I both love and hate about specializing in antiques.... We've got this awesome lock and a customer who actually WANTS information on it... yet not much information to be had other then what we already know... (I've had similar issues with some old custom ordered, pre 1900 Corbins some of which are still in use by My customers around Savannah)

I could most likely fabricate blanks and impression keys for some of the other cells and doors in the museum provided the locks haven't too badly corroded over time... but sadly, I'm still getting started in larger project blacksmithing (a smaller steel blank I would feel much more comfortable with) and the bow of the keys I could produce would look very little like the originals... not really appropriate for what the customer wants... They'd be fine with reproductions, as long as they were period authentic and good physical matches..... So back to searching...

So please, if anyone has ANY information on these old locks it would REALLY be a huge help....

Thanks,
    Derek.

Thread Information