Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Help With Miller Standard Time Padlock Codes

Hi guys

I have 2 Standard Time Padlocks with codes. I look them up in Reed Padlock Code Books and they are not correct or I am doing something wrong.

The one with hours 1-12 hex shaped dial the code is 436 on shackle.

Reed says code combo for it is: L5 - R40 - L30 - R turn hard to open.

Says to divide or multiply by 5 to convert from minutes to hours which would make it L1 - R8 - L6. Does not work.

The other lock has round dial code is 154 on shackle.

Reed says code combo is L5 - R40 - L10 - R turn hard to open.

Says to divide or multiply by 5 to convert from minutes to hours which would make it L1 - R8 - L2. Does not work.

Have picture of new one still in box with working code with original tag round dial model 34. Code is 256

Working combo on tag is L3 - R12 - L5 - R hard to open.

Reed says code combo is L35 - R40 - L30 - R turn hard to open.

Says to divide ior multiply by 5 to convert from minutes to hours which would make it L7 - R8 - L6 - R turn hard to open

So clearly the reed codes are wrong or I am doing something wrong.

Please does anyone have the right codes for 436 and 154 or can tell me what I am doing wrong. I thought my locks might be broken but comparing a new one in box with working code of 256 and the combo in Reed books doesn't match when converted either.

I hope someone has figured out the proper codes for these standard time locks and can help with code 436 and 154 as I really want to get these locks to operate.

Thanks Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Standard-Time-Padlocks-1-12-Own.jpg  

I would like to add that I have 2 Standard Time padlocks with the dial sectioned in minutes 1-60 and the same non converted reed codes are correct using the last 3 digits of the code as directed in book and work on these so something isn't right with the above ones sectioned in hours. Hope someone knows what the problem is with the hour 1-12 ones not working with the reed codes.

Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Standard-Time-Minute-Padlocks.jpg  

Default Wizard, I may be able to help you too ...

Hi, I also have been trying to open an old Miller Lock Co. Padlock recently, and likely have more locks to unlock. Evidently our ancestors did not believe in keeping the combinations before storing them ...
    The Miller Lock is a Standard Time model, with the usual posterior, "PATENTS AUG. 25, 1908 NOV. 6, 1908 NOV. 29, 1910 TRADEMARK MILLER REG. U.S. PAT. OFF" info.
    The shackle has the stamped letter Z, and Code G271.
    Unfortunately our family does not have the Reed Code Books.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thread Information