Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Old Sesamee Padlock Question

Hi

Does anyone know if the hole on the left side of this old Sesamee 3 wheel lock is the way they were made. Reed code book mentions there is a hole on the left side that shows the location the locking bolt.

Anyone have one or more of these locks to look at to see if they have a hole like this I would appreciate knowing if this is normal or missing a plug.

Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sesamee-Chromed-Hole.jpg  

Default Old Sesamee

I have one like this and it also has this open hole showing the shackle. Does anyone know how to determine the combination of these old 3 wheelers?

I don't think there any missing plug. There could be lot of reason of that hole there. To tell you I don't know what it for but I'll check my file again to see what is it. To determine the combination of these old 3 wheelers by using the slim to get the number......Timothy.......

Default Old Sesamee

Thank You Timothy - Could you explain the process of using the slim to get the number?

Hope14
    Sorry not authorized to explain of how to do t on this forum. There may be some locksmith that can do it for you.

The hole talking about on it side. I have seen lot of them these padlock that have hole on side only they are cover. My guess went putting the combination lock in them they put the locking bolt in the hole. After all this they put the shackle in to hold the bolt and to lock it. There have to be something that hold the shackle in and that I'll do not know where that it. Why they have not cover the hole like the rest of the padlock have no idea. But just maybe t because of material of the lock make can't stay in the hole like they do to brass lock.....Timothy.....

Quote Originally Posted by MrWizard View Post
    Hi

Does anyone know if the hole on the left side of this old Sesamee 3 wheel lock is the way they were made. Reed code book mentions there is a hole on the left side that shows the location the locking bolt.

Anyone have one or more of these locks to look at to see if they have a hole like this I would appreciate knowing if this is normal or missing a plug.

Richard
    The hole in the side is where a hole was drilled across the body for the locking bolt to be installed into it. Sometimes left open when the surface s too hard to plug and grind flush. Any solid body lock will have such hole but most are pugged.
    BBE.

Default Old Sesamee pad lock question

Hi all. I have a pad lock that is the same as the one in the picture. Yes it has the hole.
    Does anyone know what year(s) these were manufactured. I'm not sure if this came from my father or grandfather. It doesn't have a part number, only a list of patent numbers.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thepagen View Post
    Hi all. I have a pad lock that is the same as the one in the picture. Yes it has the hole.
    Does anyone know what year(s) these were manufactured. I'm not sure if this came from my father or grandfather. It doesn't have a part number, only a list of patent numbers.
    Thanks
    Look up the last patent and note the date of issue. I will not be possible that the lock was made before then.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepagen View Post
    Thanks
    I'm guessing that it was likely made early on, perhaps 1926-1948. Originally patented in 1926, the Sesamee keyless padlock was first made by The Sesamee Co. of Hartford, CT and were apparently subsequently produced by Bemis & Call Hardware & Tool Co. of Springfield, MA. In 1946, Corbin Cabinet Lock Division acquired the Sesamee line; Corbin Cabinet Lock was sold to The Eastern Company of Wheeling, IL in 1987 and is now called CCL Security Products. They still offer the Sesamee keyless padlock line, now made in Taiwan.

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information