Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Restoring Old Phillips & Sons safe

Hi Everyone

I am Looking for some information in relation to restoring an old safe which is not in a good state of repair.

On of the main problems is the lock appears to be seized so when we have unscrewed the bolts on the back of the door to access the it will not come off as it appears the handle is preventing this, has anyone any info on this type of hobby project as this is the first that I have tried. I have attached photos to show safe.

Any further info needed please ask as any help be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Ciaran
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Hi Everyone

I am Looking for some information in relation to restoring an old safe which is not in a good state of repair.

On of the main problems is the lock appears to be seized so when we have unscrewed the bolts on the back of the door to access the it will not come off as it appears the handle is preventing this, has anyone any info on this type of hobby project as this is the first that I have tried. I have attached photos to show safe.

Any further info needed please ask as any help be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Ciaran
    You havent shown the inside of the door but if there is a bolt on the inside that needs to be unscrewed before the pan (inner cover to the door) comes off, then obviously you do that first.
    Then there will be bolts or countersunk screws or both before the pan can be removed. You can get an escutcheon off ebay to go in the centre of the nameplate (you even hace the right screws there already).
    The lock does not affect the pan coming off.

Thanks Tom Find attached picture of back of the door. We have removed all of the bolts but still cannot get the back panel removed, there is an inch or so play with it - the bar coming from the handle through to the panel appears to be stooping it coming off - any idea why? Thanks Ciaran
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Thanks Tom Find attached picture of back of the door. We have removed all of the bolts but still cannot get the back panel removed, there is an inch or so play with it - the bar coming from the handle through to the panel appears to be stooping it coming off - any idea why? Thanks Ciaran
    Hmmm -odd!
    One possibility from looking at the picture is that the spindle has rusted to some part of the pan. Hammering of the spindle towards the outside needs luck and skill not to damage the thread on the end of the spindle, when you have so little protruding.
    Try looking for a grub screw on the handle incase removing the knob from the spindle would allow the spindle to move towards the inside of the safe -unlikely but otherwise I dont know!

Thread Information