Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Can someone please help me identify this key

Hello, i have had this key for 30 years and would like to find out how old it might be and if its worth anything. Its silver in color and quite ornate. It was found in Melbourne Australia in the yard of an old victorian mansion under the dirt... 1800 -1900's id say... It has No.474 engraved on it.. thats all i know about this key. Its 4 inches long. Someone mentioned it might be an old key to a bank safety deposit box because of the high 474 number inscribed on it, but i cant find anything that even remotely resembles it on the internet..
    Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 025.JPG   024.JPG   026.JPG   027.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by juliab View Post
    Hello, i have had this key for 30 years and would like to find out how old it might be and if its worth anything. Its silver in color and quite ornate. It was found in Melbourne Australia in the yard of an old victorian mansion under the dirt... 1800 -1900's id say... It has No.474 engraved on it.. thats all i know about this key. Its 4 inches long. Someone mentioned it might be an old key to a bank safety deposit box because of the high 474 number inscribed on it, but i cant find anything that even remotely resembles it on the internet..
    Thanks in advance
    This is a decorative, not a functioning key. The picture makes it look like it may be solid silver.
    They are normally engraved with more than that. I wonder if it is a salesmans sample ... and the manufacturers call that design a "No. 474".

I agree that it is an art key. But that number might be a serialization or there are a "limited number" of these keys. Like a Tiffany type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Nickel View Post
    I agree that it is an art key. But that number might be a serialization or there are a "limited number" of these keys. Like a Tiffany type of thing.
    Yes Dean that is possible but quality wise, this key is at the bottom end of silver presentation keys. They were often very splendid. This is more like a 21st birthday key than a presentation key to the city type key.
    Have a look on ebay and you will find a number of overpriced ones.

Thread Information