Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Levers

Default Levers

Hi all. I've been wanting to ask this question for a while but thought it might sound a bit dim. I collect safe keys, prison keys and safe plaques so my knowledge of locks is pretty minimal. Could anyone explain how to work out how many levers a lock has by looking at the key. I've added a couple of pics so I can explain myself. For some reason I thought that each step in the key signified one lever therefore the large key would have seven levers. Then I thought that the step nearest the bow end might represent two levers because it is somewhat wider. The second key with the wire bow by my calculations would be a five lever because it has five steps. On looking at many keys and locks that tell how many levers the lock has I've now realised that is not so. Therefore could some kind member explain to me if its possible for an idiot like me to tell how many levers a lock has by looking at the key for it. Thankyou
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1416851615600.jpg   1416851644222.jpg   1416851685013.jpg  

Normally the last part of the keybit is used to push the bolt from locked to unlocked or the reverse. This action is dependent on the levers being aligned to allow it to happen.
    Therefore what you thought was a five lever lock is infact a 4 lever lock.
    However a 5 lever lock often has 7 parts because from different sides of the lock, different parts of the key are used to line up the levers. Then a bolt thrower (which engulfs two lever heights on one end or the other depending on handing) will move the bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Normally the last part of the keybit is used to push the bolt from locked to unlocked or the reverse. This action is dependent on the levers being aligned to allow it to happen.
    Therefore what you thought was a five lever lock is infact a 4 lever lock.
    However a 5 lever lock often has 7 parts because from different sides of the lock, different parts of the key are used to line up the levers. Then a bolt thrower (which engulfs two lever heights on one end or the other depending on handing) will move the bolt.
    Thankyou very much for that explanationTom, much appreciated.

Default Levers and key

Hi, Its right that the farthest bit in the key blade throws the bolt. But not always. And each step on the key may also represent a lever. But may also be a ward.
    You would have to feel inside with a pick to find out, who lives where, and whats, what.

And sometimes the bolt is thrown by the curtain.

Thread Information