Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default How do French latch keys work?

I've been searching on Google and been finding no results. I'm not even sure that they are even called that any more, but it's the only thing that brings up some at least relevant results. I've just stumbled upon this site, and I'm posting this as a last ditch effort in the hopes that somebody will be actually able to help here.

Basically, I'm doing a project on keys & locks and I just want to know how these "shovel-shaped" keys work. Some sort of diagram or video showing the locking mechanism would be extremely helpful but a written explanation would help too. The closest I've come to finding out anything is the image below;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_e73c4c7a0cd2d274a1b2358b8e0f6754.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	12562

Although, upon writing this I think I've just realised how they work. I'm guessing the key is inserted horizontally at the bottom. Then the part that looks like it is blocking the key hole can be lifted upwards at the same time as the key is lifted past the wards. With that being the case, why are the cut-out shapes always symmetrical?

Quote Originally Posted by MDoodle View Post
    With that being the case, why are the cut-out shapes always symmetrical?
    So that they will operate without regard to which side is inserted up.
    BBE.

Default How do French latch keys work?

Quote Originally Posted by MDoodle View Post
    I've been searching on Google and been finding no results. I'm not even sure that they are even called that any more, but it's the only thing that brings up some at least relevant results. I've just stumbled upon this site, and I'm posting this as a last ditch effort in the hopes that somebody will be actually able to help here.

Basically, I'm doing a project on keys & locks and I just want to know how these "shovel-shaped" keys work. Some sort of diagram or video showing the locking mechanism would be extremely helpful but a written explanation would help too. The closest I've come to finding out anything is the image below;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_e73c4c7a0cd2d274a1b2358b8e0f6754.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	12562

Although, upon writing this I think I've just realised how they work. I'm guessing the key is inserted horizontally at the bottom. Then the part that looks like it is blocking the key hole can be lifted upwards at the same time as the key is lifted past the wards. With that being the case, why are the cut-out shapes always symmetrical?
    Hope this diagram helps. It can be opened from the inside by simply lifting the latch by hand.
    I have more information concerning its history in my book Unlocking the Portals of History.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5-13-2012_001.JPG  

i found some pictures in my folders, hope it helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 141 Kopie Kopie.jpg   142 Kopie Kopie.jpg   143 Kopie Kopie.jpg   144 Kopie Kopie.jpg  

Thread Information