Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Marley bros ltd

Default Marley bros ltd

Hi all, I've just got hold of this key and wondered if anyone knows anything about the company? All I've found so far is a tiny mention in the Gazetteer with an association of takeovers with Charles Smith and Tonks. Pictures are not the best as they're taken by my tablet. One side says Marley Bros ltd Birmingham and the other says Servant Key Male Cells. I'm assuming that its a prison key but I've assumed wrongly many times so am always keen to learn. Thanks Mark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141114_130018.jpg   20141114_130129.jpg   20141114_130141.jpg   20141114_125752.jpg  

I am unable to shed any light on the company, but I agree it is a key for prison locks & the possible link to Charles Smith makes sense when you look at the similarities between this key & a Charles Smith prison key of mine in this thread : http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...=Charles+smith

...Mark

Thanks for your reply Mark. I've looked at your key many times and envied you, it's one of my favorites. Something I've just noticed about this one is all the text on it has been hand engraved, it's only noticeable when looked at with a magnifying glass. What both keys have in common though are the borders around the text which possibly could suggest an association at some time. I like the patination on your Charles Smith key. I wondered if it was a finish which may have been added when made as I have a couple of chubbs that look the same. Eventually I'll clean up the rust on mine and give it a buff on the polisher. Regards Mark.

I'm quite sure there is no coating, only patina on my Charles Smith key. It hasn't even been buffed or polished. It is easier to see that in real life, I can understand how it looks like it could be a coating in the photographs. I really wish I knew more of the history behind it! In future, I to take better pictures of it when I have access to a quality camera.

I think ink the engravings on your key are justification enough to say it's a prison key.

...Mark

Bear in mind the Victorian era saw massive expansion in the Police station network and every such station would have had a cell block & keys. The keys seem to have quite a high survival rate too.

Ya its a prison key. It's one of the ones used to open the old iron doors.

Best
    Stanley

Default Marley bros

Thanks for your contribution Stanley. I'll post a picture once it's cleaned up. Regards Mark

Please let me know if you do find out. I always had a fascination about old Marley keys

Thanks
    Mark

Thread Information