Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

That ought to work well enough.

Default AEDs for the door

Started work on the dead AEDs for the door. The back plate is some web torched out of railway line so there is plenty of guts in that. The housing is some about 24mm ID mild steel pipe with a 3mm wall so there is plenty there too. I am very happy with my welds. I'm not a welder but those boys aren't going anywhere!

Not sure on the bolts. I have some rebar which would be entirely adequate but might get either a couple of bolts or some cold rolled bar. We shall see what is available, preferably free.

Just a thought: there should be a reliable way for somebody inside the vault to get out if they are trapped, or at least to make a telephone call.

When it is done there won't be room for a rat to go unnoticed. I agree with the idea of an escape mechanism but in this case it would be unnecessary. Thanks anyway.

Finished the first AED this afternoon. The pipe is, actually, 6mm wall so it is stronger than I had thought! I got the base of a very heavy rawlbolt to use as the plunger. Very happy with it all.

I've been following this thread, but somewhere I got lost, what's an AED?
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default Aed

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiscuit View Post
    I've been following this thread, but somewhere I got lost, what's an AED?
    Sorry, AED = "Anti Explosive Device". AKA a relocker. Any device which secures the boltwork in the locked position independently of the main lock(s).

They were introduced to frustrate attacks on the lock by explosives, oxygen cutting equipment and, more recently, disc cutters. If mounted on a glass plate they also give a high degree of protection against drill attacks.

PM me if you need more information.

Thanks, I'm not a safe tech, but I know what a relocker is and how they work, Just never heard the AED used in safe work. I'm also a EMT (emergency medical technician) and a AED to us is short for automated external defibrillator, hence my confusion. Thanks, Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thread Information