Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Key for Antique Yale S.251 - Y6? RN-10 PARA? 997X? No.10?

I am trying to restore a late 1800s desk that has a Yale cylinder lock (4 pin) with "S.251" stamped on the side of the cylinder. The curator of the American Lock Museum found an old Yale catalog with an entry for a S.250, which looks very similar. It calls for a 'no.10' key. I took my lock cylinder to a couple of local locksmiths and a Y6 key fit.

Two questions:

1) What is the correct key blank? Is it a RN-10 PARA, a 10-1/2 Yale, a Y6, a 997X, or ?
    2) Where can I find a vintage key blank? I have looked all over the internet. My understanding is the key blank should have "The Yale & Towne Mfg Co" stamped along the circumference of the circular part of the key blank, along with "YALE" horizontally across the circular part.

Default Key for Antique Yale S.251 - Y6? RN-10 PARA? 997X? No.10?

ABC
    As for your information on Yale key blank is it very hard to find the Original key blank. As they don't made those kind of blank any more. Yes is it very hard to find a lock shop that will carry those blank. I do know that some lock shop will have them but they will not sell or use it to cut key. Every once in a while they do sell some of Yale blank key on e-Bay as i have see them some time. Otherwise just have to keep looking until find one...Good Luck..Timothy...

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Two questions:
    1) What is the correct key blank? Is it a RN-10 PARA, a 10-1/2 Yale, a Y6, a 997X, or ?
    2) Where can I find a vintage key blank? I have looked all over the internet. My understanding is the key blank should have "The Yale & Towne Mfg Co" stamped along the circumference of the circular part of the key blank, along with "YALE" horizontally across the circular part.
    RN-10 PARA is the current nomenclature for an OEM Yale nickel silver round bow 4-pin key blank with paracentric keyway to fit .40" dia. plugs. 10-1/2 is the "old" Yale designation for the identical blank. Y6 is an "E-Z" number used to designate aftermarket blanks, usually nickel plated or plain brass, made by various manufacturers while 997X is an Ilco aftermarket nickel plated brass blank all of which have the same keyway. There are numerous other equivalents for this popular blank as well. S251 is an old Yale code which can be used by a locksmith to originate a working key, it may or may not operate your lock.
    I have a supply of Yale 10-1/2 original blanks which read Yale and Eaton Corporation on the obverse side and Made in U.S.A. on the reverse. You can buy these from me for $1.00 ea. + $3.00 S&H. If interested eMail me at PschiffeATaol.com (change AT to @) for ordering instructions.

Pete Schifferli
    Last edited by Pschiffe; 30-10-14 at 11:15 PM.

Wow, Pete - awesome information! Thanks for a great explanation. Interestingly, the Yale catalog from the late 1800s that had an entry for an S-250 called for a 'No.10' key. Assuming my S.251 has the same cylinder, I wonder if somewhere along the line the 'no.10' became the 10-1/2. The other interesting thing about the S-250, is it shows an entire locking mechanism for a rolltop desk (with escutcheon). It is extremely similar to my S-251. I wonder if S-251 refers to the entire mechanism or just the lock cylinder.

Wow, Pete - awesome information! Thanks for a great explanation. Interestingly, the Yale catalog from the late 1800s that had an entry for an S-250 called for a 'No.10' key. Assuming my S.251 has the same cylinder, I wonder if somewhere along the line the 'no.10' became the 10-1/2. The other interesting thing about the S-250, is it shows an entire locking mechanism for a rolltop desk (with escutcheon). It is extremely similar to my S-251. I wonder if S-251 refers to the entire mechanism or just the lock cylinder.
    The No. S250 roll-top desk lock can be found on pg. 129 of Yale Catalog No. 26 (c)1929, see thumbnail image attached. I still think S251 might be a valid key code. Note that the catalog description does indeed refer to No. 10 keys. I believe you are correct that the earlier No. 10 key later morphed into No. 10-1/2, see Yale Key Blanks image from this website c.1889 at the link:
    http://www.antique-locks.com/attachm...2&d=1408973805

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YaleS250roll-topDeskLock.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    The No. S250 roll-top desk lock can be found on pg. 129 of Yale Catalog No. 26 (c)1929, see thumbnail image attached. I still think S251 might be a valid key code. Note that the catalog description does indeed refer to No. 10 keys. I believe you are correct that the earlier No. 10 key later morphed into No. 10-1/2, see Yale Key Blanks image from this website c.1889 at the link:
    http://www.antique-locks.com/attachm...2&d=1408973805

Pete Schifferli
    Pete - the thumbnail for the S-250 is exactly what the Antique Lock Museum found for me. And, it is very similar to the S-251 lock mechanism on the desk I am restoring. Someone told me "S" meant a special order Yale produced. So, question - does "S-251" refer to that entire desk locking mechanism with rods, escutcheon, etc, or just the lock cylinder, or just a key code?

Pete - the thumbnail for the S-250 is exactly what the Antique Lock Museum found for me. And, it is very similar to the S-251 lock mechanism on the desk I am restoring. Someone told me "S" meant a special order Yale produced. So, question - does "S-251" refer to that entire desk locking mechanism with rods, escutcheon, etc, or just the lock cylinder, or just a key code?
    As I stated previously, I believe S251 may be the key code. Only was to find out for sure is to cut a key to that code and hope it works. I have that capability if you are interested.

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information