Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Cary Safe Paint Color

Greetings one & all! Just joined tonight after re-aquiring a small Cary Safe on wheels. This safe was originally in our 1907 NYC RR Depot. After closing in the mid fifties it was bought by a local gentleman for five dollars. That gentleman has now donated the safe back to our Historical Society of which I am the president! It is in great shape, combination works but was painted battleship gray! After using a safe paint remover I have uncover the original color of marroon/burgundy. Does anyone know of a manufacturer who has a color close to this original? The original color is on the inside door plate and I guess I could take that to a local store and have them scan it only tho as a last resort!
    Thanks,
    Dan

The colours would vary slightly even where a manufacturer had their own colour schemes - as well as the paints changing over time of course. If a laquer was applied over the paint, age will particularly affect the laquer to change the colour seen now.
    I would suggest you take a chip of the original paint to be scanned at your local paint shop -it is normally very accurate.

Thread Information