Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: New additions

Default New additions

Hi collectors, thought I would add my two latest additions to my collection. The Hobbs Hart was covered in thick gold paint so I stripped that which resulted in seeing more detail then I gave it a polish . heres the resut. The cartwright /cotterill was already stripped and just needed a good polish. I thought the cartwright looked as if it had been chopped down but the safe tech who removed it from the safe himself said that it was held on wifh the two escutchen screws and there was no other holes above or below. But yes i think it probably did have fixings above and below but as i like anything cotterill i bought it anyhow. Thanks for any comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141016_094917.jpg   20141016_094643.jpg   20141016_094859.jpg  

The Cartwright is very unusual and very uncommon and fun.
    I am not certain that the escutcheon is original to the nameplate but manufacturers did sometimes have a problem fitting the nameplate which they had in stock, onto the safe that they were making.
    The nameplate would even be unusual if there was more of it existing, but I suspect that they made either a small safe or one with multiple locks and needed to cut their existing plate down to fit on. I have seen this a number of times. to some degree or other.

I thought maybe if the door had a couple of decorative panels possibly it may have been cut to fit between. I do seem to remember seeing the old carrons made with an upper and lower panel and the escutcheon between. The cottefill lock and key were offered with the plaque but the key was snapped and locks are a bit out of my comfort zone so I declined.

Thread Information