Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Key made for a 4 Johnson "Cleveland" Farebox??

I obtained a Johnson "Cleveland" Farebox that did not have the key with it. Is it possible to have a key made for a Chicago 4 Way Lock? Anyone familiar with this that can assist me? I would like to keep everything original on this fare box!

I have taken this lock to two different places and neither of them were able to make a key for it. The second party I took this too has been working on it for some time now and it seems that he has loves the challenge! Great guy to deal with but feel bad that he has spent so much time on it!

The issue appears to be that this is not a true "crucifixion" key. If you look at the two slots at the top of the keyhole they're longer then the bottom ones. Anyone have any experience in making keys for these?
    zoHahDt 1

I have two of these, one for the farebox and then there is one on the inside "cashbox". I am assuming the locks are two different keys.

Even if someone has this lock and key for sale I would be interested!

Please email me and thanks!

Default Key made

If is open could please take picture of inside. Could give some idea of what ir look like. Those kind of lock are hard to work on...Timothy. .

At one time I had around a dozen of these locks from SF Trolley fareboxes. Half were made similar to desk locks an the other half live cam locks. I did mange to make a key for each type and luckily each type was KA. The process required destruction of one lock of each type.

I found them impossible for me to pick. If your locksmith is successful he ha my admiration.
    BBE.

Default Additional pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    If is open could please take picture of inside. Could give some idea of what ir look like. Those kind of lock are hard to work on...Timothy. .
    Timothy, appreciate the post. I do not have the lock in front of me as it's still with the gentleman that is attempting to make a key for me. I asked him if he would take a picture and send it to me. Not sure if he has the capability or not but if he does I will post it here. Kills me as I know I took two pictures, one of the front and one of the back, before I sent the lock out. I found the front one (below) but must have deleted the one of the back!

loxVr6xl 1

Default My admiration too....

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    At one time I had around a dozen of these locks from SF Trolley fareboxes. Half were made similar to desk locks an the other half live cam locks. I did mange to make a key for each type and luckily each type was KA. The process required destruction of one lock of each type.

I found them impossible for me to pick. If your locksmith is successful he ha my admiration.
    BBE.
    To this guy's credit he has was able to pick the lock and the lock is now in the unlocked position, however he has not been successful in being able to make a key for it. He said he has gone through numerous blanks all to no avail! I keep telling him if he is tire of working on it to send it back and he advises me "it's about the challenge at this point"!

Default Additional pictures added

sL5BzYIljpg1 1
    qyHksJ8lpng1 1

Default Bueller ...

umping to see if anyone has any experience with these locks!

So is the problem getting key blanks or figuring the actual key cuts? If the lock has been picked to the open position, it looks like one could remove the screw that holds the tang on the back and possably remove the lock core. If the core will come out, one should be able to measure the pins hights and spacings and transfer those dimensions to a key blank.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiscuit View Post
    So is the problem getting key blanks or figuring the actual key cuts? If the lock has been picked to the open position, it looks like one could remove the screw that holds the tang on the back and possably remove the lock core. If the core will come out, one should be able to measure the pins hights and spacings and transfer those dimensions to a key blank.
    Not quite. It is first of all a lever tumbler lock and there are eight of them in it. When removing the plug it is highly likely that one or more of those lever tumblers will jump to the ground. I have a number of different styles of Cleveland 4-Way lock and have taken a picture of a few.

From 12 o'clock, a bolt lock that locks both sides of a farebox door, what the inside back of the bolt type looks like, cam type lock, desk or cabinet type lock, a typical plug and one of the lever tumblers and two keys in the middle.

I have never made the keys to this batch ad all the ones that I made keys for are gone. Naturally they also made padlocks. I have seen two styles, a large oval body and a rectangular body. Both bodies are typically bronze.
    BBE.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0091.JPG  

Default Key made for a 4 Johnson "Cleveland" Farebox??

I don't think going to find the original key blank for it. As I was looking into some key catalog of finding something the may work as may end up have to file it to make it work. In Borkey key catalog go to page 43 and 44 maybe can be it or go to 108 Cruciform key blank. Like I said may have to file it to fit the keyway. The other way only if have money to do this to find a machine shop the will make key blank for it. Otherwise need to keep checking into e-Bay to find these key. If come up with anything new will let you know. This is only of what I found so far. Good Luck..Timothy...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information