Welcome to our world of Locks and Locksmiths (click logo or scroll down to view all):-

 www.Antique-Locks.com 
HoL
Or are you looking for modern, or recent past,
Keys, Locks or Safes.
keys, locks & safes
Industrial Archaeology of Locks History of Locks Museum
Please support the HoL Museum Shop where you can.
Researching locks from antiquity to the recent past.Maintaining a reference collection & archive.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    17
    Country: United States

    Default Key made for a 4 Johnson "Cleveland" Farebox??

    All,

    Appreciate the input thus far! I would love to find someone that can make keys for these locks as I think they add to farebox! I also like to keep everything original as possible! I have looked on ebaY for anyone selling these types of locks to no avail! Am I correct in stating that these are referred to as Chicago 4 way locks?

    If anyone knows of someone that could make keys for these please let me know. If anyone knows someone selling this type of lock with keys, again, please let me know!

    Thanks again!!!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    565
    Country: United States

    Default Key made for a 4 Johnson "Cleveland" Farebox??

    I don't think is Chicage Lock at they never make 4-way keyway. It should be Cleveland 4 way keyway. As making key for it I don't know very much of any machine shop make key in your area that will do it. You may have to check around to find one that will do it or outside of your state. I use to know one guy here that will do it but he retire a long time ago. Just keep looking as it may take time or who know maybe someone here on this forum may know someone does. Good luck...Timoty....

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tonawanda, NY, USA
    Posts
    774
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    I don't think is Chicage Lock at they never make 4-way keyway. It should be Cleveland 4 way keyway. As making key for it I don't know very much of any machine shop make key in your area that will do it. You may have to check around to find one that will do it or outside of your state. I use to know one guy here that will do it but he retire a long time ago. Just keep looking as it may take time or who know maybe someone here on this forum may know someone does. Good luck...Timoty....
    The National Locksmith Guide to Antique Padlocks (c) 1990 by Jack Roberts, CML has detailed information on the Cleveland 4-Way on pg. 16-17. Mr. Roberts states, we have found no practical manner of producing an operating key for these locks without disassembly which requires drilling and/or otherwise defacing the lock.

    Pete Schifferli

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    565
    Country: United States

    Default Key made for a 4 Johnson "Cleveland" Farebox??

    As what Pete said about Mr. Robert the only thing I can think of as he may be taking about the Cleveland 4-Way Padlock that can't be disassembly which requires drilling and/or otherwise defacing the lock.
    I could be wrong as I never have see it of what the lock or key look like as only see them in picture. I do believe is may be hard to impression this lock as could see per attached of the way the key look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5.JPG   6.JPG  

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    565
    Country: United States

    Default Key made for a 4 Johnson "Cleveland" Farebox??

    Some good to read: http://www.johnsonfarebox.com/index.html...

    Zsem
    There are something to check into with this web site as just maybe you can send them e-mail about key as maybe they will give you some idea of what can or not to do...Timothy...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    17
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Some good to read: http://www.johnsonfarebox.com/index.html...

    Zsem
    There are something to check into with this web site as just maybe you can send them e-mail about key as maybe they will give you some idea of what can or not to do...Timothy...
    I had contacted them already and received the following response:

    "The Chicago 4 way locks and keys are now controlled by GenFare, General Fare Industries. They took over everything from Keene who took over Johnson Farebox. I have tried to get locks and keys out of them but they only sell to the trade. All of the 4 way locks have a number on them and that determined the key cut code."'

    I don't know anyone in the trade and GenFare has not responded to any of my emails!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    565
    Country: United States

    Default Key made for a 4 Johnson "Cleveland" Farebox??

    I have found patent number That was made for Cleveland Farebox. Give you some idea of what the lock look like. As the way i look at it seem like is small four way key "?"....Timothy....
    Attached Files Attached Files

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    17
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    I have found patent number That was made for Cleveland Farebox. Give you some idea of what the lock look like. As the way i look at it seem like is small four way key "?"....Timothy....
    Thanks Tim! I have sent this to my guy to see if it will help him!

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zsem View Post
    Thanks Tim! I have sent this to my guy to see if it will help him!
    Here are three more.
    BBE.

    1,683,985
    1,832,498
    1,896,523

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    17
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    Here are three more.
    BBE.

    1,683,985
    1,832,498
    1,896,523
    Appreciate the input guys! I must admit I started this thread looking for someone to simply see if a key could be made for these locks. I find myself more and more intrigued with the makings of this lock!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •