Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Small versus large bow Best keys

I'm trying to determine when Best stopped making keys that have a smaller bow than those currently being made. This would be the earlier type that is shorter than a typical 7-pin key, has the word BEST in large letters surrounded by stars on one side, and stars all around the other side with no space for the keyway letter found on the typical Best keys. I have several unused/NOS cores with the smaller keys & would like to get an approximate date when they were made. My guess would be 1950's?

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    I'm trying to determine when Best stopped making keys that have a smaller bow than those currently being made. This would be the earlier type that is shorter than a typical 7-pin key, has the word BEST in large letters surrounded by stars on one side, and stars all around the other side with no space for the keyway letter found on the typical Best keys. I have several unused/NOS cores with the smaller keys & would like to get an approximate date when they were made. My guess would be 1950's?
    As far as I know, Best has always used their "1A" key blank style for most applications. Although large bow blanks are available, they are for special situations and not usually found on standard interchangeable core product. See thumbnail attached from SFIC: Advanced (c)2005 by William M. Lynk.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best1AkeyBlank.jpg  

Default They're similar to the 5-pin in the attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    As far as I know, Best has always used their "1A" key blank style for most applications. Although large bow blanks are available, they are for special situations and not usually found on standard interchangeable core product. See thumbnail attached from SFIC: Advanced (c)2005 by William M. Lynk.

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks for the reply--what I have is longer than the 5-pin key blank pictured, but definitely smaller than the standard blank in the middle. They look somewhat like longer versions of the 5-pin key. They are 6-pin A keyway, with nothing other than the word "BEST" on the bow. No keyway letter. They're obviously pretty old, but finding info on the Internet about old/obsolete Best products is very difficult.

Would you post a picture?

Default Here's a picture

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Nickel View Post
    Would you post a picture?
    The one on the left is from the early 70's, the one in question on the right. Note lack of keyway letter & slightly smaller size--both in length and size of bow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BestKey1.JPG   BestKey2.JPG  

Thread Information