Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Very old heart-shaped padlock w/ key Any info?

I have a small collection of padlocks and I believe this to be the oldest. There is a clear logo ("S & Co?) on the dust cover but the emblem is sort of ambiguous. The key has "C. WHEELER" stamped on it and is partially punched out. It appears to be constructed of iron with heavy pitting with a brass or bronze dust cover. It also seems to be formed out of iron plates that are riveted together rather than from a solid piece. Any information or comments would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 022259.jpg   022412.jpg   022523.jpg   022632.jpg  

Default Re: Very old heart-shaped padlock w/ key Any info?

I have an identical lock like yours I am here also trying to get some information on mine which says on the brass W & C.

Default Re: Very old heart-shaped padlock w/ key Any info?

The logo on the drop is for Sargent & Co. The lock is what is typically called a Smoke House lock today althought it may not have been used for that purpose in real life.
    I can't quite read what is stamped on the bow of the key, is it Nov. 11, ??01.?
    BBE.

Thread Information