Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Any advice for a new collector?

I bought my first three locks today. I think two of them might actually be somewhat interesting as I haven't been able to find any other examples on the web. (It's from the Alaska Railroad. It has a key, but I don't think it's probably all that old.)

The second one is labeled BN (Burlington Northern?) and is probably not that old. No key.

The third one is interesting too. It's stamped NP and has a patent number that indicates that it was probably used by the American Railway Express company around WW1.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140908_135320_507.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	705.7 KB 
ID:	12345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140910_121554_154.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	997.9 KB 
ID:	12348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140910_121636_965.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	12346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140910_121559_261.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	12349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140910_121659_571.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	689.0 KB 
ID:	12347

I'm interested in any thoughts related to these locks. Are they interesting to anyone else or are they pretty common?

If you have any advice for someone just starting out, I'd love to hear that too. Are there any reference materials that are well regarded? I'm seeing a lot of (somewhat obvious) fakes on ebay. Is it best just to buy from local antique stores or known buyers or what's the best advice to help ensure you don't buy any fakes?

The dealer also had an interesting brass lock that he said was from the civil war (you can see it in the background in the first picture) and a Winchester that looked genuine to me (not pictured), but he wanted over $100 each for those and that was a bit too much for me first purchase.

For the two that I bought without keys, do folks generally try to find the keys that go with locks or is it pretty common to collect locked locks without keys?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
    --Tom

Default Oops

Ok, the NPR lock may not be that old. I had found another lock on the internet with the same stamp (PAT 11-21-05 MADE IN U.S.A.) and assumed they'd have the same story, but looking at the other lock, it's slightly different and from a different rail line. Just because they were using an old patent, doesn't necessarily mean it's an old lock, I suppose. So any info you folks out there have is greatly appreciated. -Tom

Quote Originally Posted by papastone View Post
    Ok, the NPR lock may not be that old. I had found another lock on the internet with the same stamp (PAT 11-21-05 MADE IN U.S.A.) and assumed they'd have the same story, but looking at the other lock, it's slightly different and from a different rail line. Just because they were using an old patent, doesn't necessarily mean it's an old lock, I suppose. So any info you folks out there have is greatly appreciated. -Tom
    The NPR is an abbreviation for Nickel Plate Railroad. The best advice I can give is if you see it, like it and are pretty sure t isn't a fake, get it because it will be gone when you go back later.
    BBE.

Greetings Tom,
    There is some good stuff in the 'On line Links and Resources' section of the forum regarding fakes and frauds. Click the 'sticky-online resources thread' and check out 'Deans Padlock Page', 'American Lock Collectors' and 'West Coast Lock Collectors'. There is a lot of good information for anyone starting the hobby. Welcome to the fun!
    Most collectors prefer to have a key with the lock, but I haven't met many that would turn down a lock they really wanted if it didn't.
    Best of luck in collecting,
    Bill

Keys can be made if needed. Having the lock in hand as BBE has pointed out can be a problem sometimes. The main thing is to really consider what lock YOU are collecting? Keys? Padlocks? Cylinders? Safe Locks? Cutaway/Salesman Samples? just to name a few. I collect Unit Locks and Cut-way Lock Cylinders.

Thread Information