Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default combination safe lock

Hi all, can anybody tell me anything about this lock I've acquired. What make if possible? how old? and if poss does it have a value, although I do understand that sometimes that is not possible. I collect safe plaques and keys and have no knowledge of combinations really. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1410389216266.jpg   1410389265485.jpg   1410389317638.jpg   1410389367682.jpg   1410389406779.jpg  

1410389433960.jpg  

Your lock is a #4 Marvin Imperial. Marvin was the mfg, Imperial was the design, and 4 is the version.

That should get you started on your search.

I've opened many safes with this lock type. I had done research on this lock long ago. If I remember correctly Marvin had the first design, then later improved by Covert, ending with the latest improvements by Stockwell.

DH

Default safe combo

Thanks for that David, most helpful.

Oh wow, that is a neat design. Another thing to add to my "Get one of these someday" list

Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for all your comments and assistance but has anyone a rough idea of its age? It does look in good condition but before I stripped all the paint and gunge it looked much older than it does now. I've searched online and have been unable to find anything about it's age. Thanks to everyone, if it wasn't for all you professionals and experienced collectors alike sharing your knowledge for free, newbies and less experienced collectors like myself would be stuffed. Regards Mark.

That version would have been made by Yale for Marvin sometime in the 1880's, early 90's. Doug

Thanks Doug! Your a star!

Thread Information