Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Question More info please? Von Duprin Antique Doors Indianapolis Type B - Pat feb 7, 1911

I aquired 2 antique doors in a cleanout. I don't know anything about doors and such... they are intact and complete as far as I can see. None of the glass is broken, and the hardware is all there. There are a few markings on the brass hardware: Von Duprin type b, and Indianapolis as well as Pat. Feb 7, 1911.

Can somebody point me in the right direction for more information on these? I'm looking to sell them, however, I cannot find any information online about them... except that they are emergency exit doors.

Each one measures 30 1/2 wide x 93 1/2" tall.

Thanks!

Justin
    jnj_bros@yahoo.com
    267-231-6257
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

The one on the left in the full picture is a Mortice lock ( modern 75 function) exit device and the one on the right is a surface vertical rod (modern 27 function) device. These were later known as the 88 and the 55 series depending on the cross bar and workings inside. What you have there is OLD. I wouldn't put those into service again as parts are not an option and have not been for those at least 40+ years. As a collector pieces they are nice. I have not seen the Mortice lock version before in that old of a device. There are more parts that would have been attached to the floor and the upper door frame. If you have these two or more parts then you do have all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gibow View Post
    I aquired 2 antique doors in a cleanout. I don't know anything about doors and such... they are intact and complete as far as I can see. None of the glass is broken, and the hardware is all there. There are a few markings on the brass hardware: Von Duprin type b, and Indianapolis as well as Pat. Feb 7, 1911.

Can somebody point me in the right direction for more information on these? I'm looking to sell them, however, I cannot find any information online about them... except that they are emergency exit doors.

Each one measures 30 1/2 wide x 93 1/2" tall.

Thanks!

Justin
    jnj_bros@yahoo.com
    267-231-6257
    Von Duprin, which was formed in 1908; developed the first series of all drop-forged brass or bronze exit devices, the B2 vertical rod and mortise lock line in 1932. The name comes from the principals of the company, VONnegut Hardware Co., Henry DUPont and Carl PRINzler = Von Duprin. The US patent number for "emergency exit-lock" 983,355 was granted to Mr. DuPont 2-7-1911. Although Von Duprin claims to have produced the first such device, there were actually earlier patents and manufacturers for similar types of locks. The successor company is still in business as a division of Allegion plc based in Dublin, Ireland. This arrangement apparently precludes payment of US taxes. I personally don't think they have much value except to someone who might want them for an historical restoration. Contemporary exit devices are much more satisfactory from both design and security standpoint. My two cents.

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information