Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Charles Smith & Sons + Books on UK Prison Locks

Hi,

Im a collector of Charles Smith & Son/s Prison Locks and ask if there is any information anyone has about Charles Smith they can share, I have seen the write up in the newsletter here on the site. Also looking for any other books that are about UK prison locks etc. If anyone can help as to what there may be.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5-- SMITH AND SONS RESTORED  (1).JPG   4 UNRESTORED.jpg   5-- SMITH AND SONS RESTORED  (2).JPG   3-- SIDE BY SIDE SMITH AND SON , UNRESTORED AND RESTORED (1).JPG   2--RESTORED SMITH & SONS LOCK (5).JPG  

4 SMITHS EARLY LOCK RESTORED (4).JPG  

Default prison locks

There is little information on Smith. Birmingham Public Library might be able to help.
    The main supplier of prison locks today is Chubb Locks Custodial Services - the only part of ASSA Abloy still branded Chubb:
    http://www.clcsltd.co.uk/en/site/clcs/Products/

Smith was one of the makers of the 'Pentonville' cell lock; Union also seem to have made some.
    Gibbons, Hobbs, and in a small way in the past, Union, have been the main other suppliers in Britain.

Few books mention prison locks, though mention is made in some guide books at old museums etc. York museum preserves some old cells (think Dick Turpin, a highwayman from Essex who ended up on a York gallows) with large warded rimlocks. There are a few old police museums which preserve some cell locks.

Thanks, Yea know York Cell very well studied it a lot (Im an Escapologist) Cells and the escape from them interest me greatly, Some locks are hard to get and can be in a bad state. Know of the Chubbs, (Thanks for the link).

Found an original Smith & Sons sign a while back included it in this post for others,

Thanks
    Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SMITHS SIGN.jpg  

Forgot to add that Brian was going to add in a section about the Charles Smith locks I have in the news letter, If any one has this I would liek to see it as he was goign to do a story section etc, but not herd back from him?

Thanks

Hi there.

I understand this thread is rather old, but i am new to this forum and so am going through, browsing topics of interest. In response to the original post, regarding Charles Smith prison locks, and the request for information regarding English Prison locks, i have an original Chubb catalogue from the 1930s.(I collect prison locks and keys, and other high-security lever locks). I also have an original Gibbons catalogue, which includes their prison and asylum lock ranges. I am happy to share these with you if that would aid in enriching your collection.

Kind Regards

Daniel

Thread Information