Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Drawer lock identification

I have a large drawer lock that I cannot identify that was in a bunch of misc locks I bought at auction. It is all-brass construction, spring bolt, very heavy. The strange thing about it is the keyway--it is identical to a Hurd keyway used in old Ford automobiles (1950's or earlier), but the cylinder is only 3-pin. The plug is also very small & has no shoulder--it could be shimmed from the front. An Ilco 1125H fits perfectly but is too long. No markings on the lock anywhere except a number 8 stamped on the cylinder nose. Any ideas who made it? Did Hurd make drawer locks?

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    I have a large drawer lock that I cannot identify that was in a bunch of misc locks I bought at auction. It is all-brass construction, spring bolt, very heavy. The strange thing about it is the keyway--it is identical to a Hurd keyway used in old Ford automobiles (1950's or earlier), but the cylinder is only 3-pin. The plug is also very small & has no shoulder--it could be shimmed from the front. An Ilco 1125H fits perfectly but is too long. No markings on the lock anywhere except a number 8 stamped on the cylinder nose. Any ideas who made it? Did Hurd make drawer locks?
    I'm guessing it may be a "deck lock" from an early Ford, Mercury or Lincoln auto, all of which which used that small Hurd keyway beginning in about 1932.

Pete Schifferli

We can tell you a whole lot more if we can see a picture.

Default Figured out how to add a picture--perhaps this will help...

Is this even a drawer lock? Perhaps a trunk lock? The pins are at the bottom if mounted in the normal manner.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknown lock.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	12268

Unless it was intended to go out the bottom of a drawer.

Default That's a good point

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Nickel View Post
    Unless it was intended to go out the bottom of a drawer.
    I never thought of that..perhaps it goes into some kind of sliding compartment/drawer at the bottom? I've searched all through google, and I'm pretty sure the core of the cylinder at least is Hurd--it looks identical to the cylinders used on many spare tire and other specialty locks made for very early 1900's cars. However, as for the lock I cannot find anything like it so I'm left guessing it is an old trunk lid or drawer lock perhaps for a really old car.

Contact a Ford collector group and see if they have seen that lock.

Thread Information