Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: date

Default date

Hi all , I've just came into posession of this key and wondered if anyone can date it? I think it may be an old prison cell key but after seeing a similar one on the HOL museum site it seems a different date to what this is meant to be. It measures about 4 and a quarter inches. Thanks for any help you can give.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140806_154852.jpg   20140806_155118.jpg   20140806_154554.jpg  

This screams trunk lock or cabinet lock to me. Maybe a safe key. But then we don't get many lever warded locks here anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Nickel View Post
    This screams trunk lock or cabinet lock to me. Maybe a safe key. But then we don't get many lever warded locks here anymore.
    Thanks for your valued opinion Dean. I collect safe keys so that would be nice if it was from a safe. I only thought it was a prison/cell key because of the Gibbons master key pictured in the HOL museum (which i have added a picture of) . I assumed apart from the bow being heart shaped and the turning on the shaft they were virtually the same key. Am I correct in thinking the plain oval bow was being used before the heart shape bows?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gib008.jpeg  

That bears a strong resemblance to my Charles Smith & Sons prison key. That said, I don't think it is an original key made my this firm, as the style (proportions & shape of bow) don't quite match.

This is is my key : http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...-Co-Birmingham

I think it is quite likely that it is a prison key, however.

...Mark

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mercury View Post
    That bears a strong resemblance to my Charles Smith & Sons prison key. That said, I don't think it is an original key made my this firm, as the style (proportions & shape of bow) don't quite match.

This is is my key : http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...-Co-Birmingham

I think it is quite likely that it is a prison key, however.

...Mark
    That's one seriously nice key you have there Mark. I was just looking at it yesterday. Has it been coated or is that patination? They do look a bit alike but I know which one I would prefer, and it's not mine. Regards, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    That's one seriously nice key you have there Mark. I was just looking at it yesterday. Has it been coated or is that patination? They do look a bit alike but I know which one I would prefer, and it's not mine. Regards, Mark.
    It is a beautiful key, without a doubt the best in my collection. I wish I could find out more about it. There is no coating on the key, it's colour is just patina.

...Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mercury View Post
    It is a beautiful key, without a doubt the best in my collection. I wish I could find out more about it. There is no coating on the key, it's colour is just patina.

...Mark
    You should post some pictures of your collection Mark, there's nothing better than seeing someone elses pride and joy. I reckon you must have some nice pieces if this one is setting the standards. Regards, Mark.

Another nice key Mark- I saw what you got the last safe keys for and thought of the poor bloke that had to pack them up and part with them lol. You definitely get them right place at the right time!

Mercury your Chas Smith key is exceptional- think i mentioned this before but I was amazed to find the original company was actually what went on to eventually become Newman Tonks Hardware- a name familiar to UK locksmith's throughout the 80s and 90s.

Thread Information