Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Martha
    I was looking at one of box that seem like there door knob at per attached. It there a small lock on that door knob..??...One more thing to add as notice you have some combination padlock as some of these also do have code number on it to get combination number....Timothy..
    Hi Timothy, Yes, we do have a door knob with a keyhole on one of the knobs. There are no markings. It is made of a heavy metal that isn't magnetic and looks like it was once painted to look like brass or gold. And no key, so far.... Do you know anything about it?

We have several combination locks. Some of them have a paper with the combination on it. We have some Dudley combination locks that don't have the combination, but hoping to get lucky on this site:

http://www.vintagecombinationlocks.com/

My husband tried to open one of the locks using the code and the site, but so far no luck.

Martha

Default Order from confusion matching padlocks and keys

Hello Martha
    No I have no idea of what it for. That the first time I ever see it. This is why I ask about it, as maybe take a better picture of the door knob and the Lock in the knob. Just maybe someone on the forum may know what is it and where it go.

As for combination padlock as I don't know if going to find that code number on vintage combination lock. So of the padlock you may have to go to locksmith to get the code or not sure if authorized to give out code on this forum. Just maybe someone will explain the easy way to go by it....Timothy

Martha, the combo's listed on that site are only for reference, as it would give a person the correct dialing sequence. The combo's listed are the actual combo for the lock pictured only, the odds that that combo would work on one you would have in your collection are pretty slim at best. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default Segal padlock open and close pictures

Hi Mark, I probably emailed this to myself haha If you get the pictures, we can go from there. Thanks for your patience.

Martha

Quote Originally Posted by Martha336 View Post
    About a week ago, my husband and I bought 336 antique and old padlocks locks and some keys. About 100 of the padlocks are matched with keys. I am still in the process of sorting them, and trying to match keys to locks. My husband and I collect anything that we like-from glass to padlocks. But we don't know a lot about padlocks. We both love learning about things we've bought and after 40 years of collecting, we are happy to jump right in and learn about padlocks. But while I am sorting through this huge number of padlocks, I have some questions. I was happy to find this site, and I am using it to figure out what types of padlocks we have, and about the companies, value and keys. Today, I am most interested in keys. I am sorting the keys into shapes and thicknesses, brands, and things like that.
    There are many flat steel keys, that seem solid, but very cheaply made. As much quality that went into the padlocks, I can't help wondering why the keys were so inexpensively made?
    As I try to match a key to a padlock, am I going to hurt anything if a key fits all the way into the lock, but isn't a match? My husband says probably not, because people use the wrongs keys often.
    We have some of the Scandinavian style padlocks, with large holes for keys. Will they all take a thick-shafted key or do some have other shape of keys?
    We have Yale padlocks, plus padlocks that were made by Yale with different names, such as Terror. Did anyone ever do odds of any Yale key fitting any Yale lock?

I have matched 8 locks and keys since we brought the padlocks home and I can't tell you how satisfying it is when a padlock clicks open :) I'm sure we'll keep a few, but we'll sell most of these on eBay so we can buy other things we like. I'll be visiting this site often as I have time. If anyone has advice or can answer my questions, thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Segal_closed_1.jpg   Segal_open_1.jpg  

Thread Information