Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default safe plaque pics

Hi, thought I would post some pics seeing as there hasn't been many plaques posted for a while. Note the two different escutcheons on the Cotterills . Hope you like them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140720_005604.jpg   20140720_005512.jpg   20140720_005443.jpg   20140720_005352.jpg   20140720_005751.jpg  

very nice- love the 2 Cotterill's they're a beautiful shape. Always wanted those to go with a few of my locks but never got them. I think the Fraser & Co is a retailer's or dealer's plate as opposed to a maker- always wanted to try and collect those as well, as many seemed more obscure and rarer than a lot of the mainstream maker's. I guess it was probably down to the quantities made for them, but I only managed to get a few. Always great to see some different from all the common Milners and chubb's out there!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    very nice- love the 2 Cotterill's they're a beautiful shape. Always wanted those to go with a few of my locks but never got them. I think the Fraser & Co is a retailer's or dealer's plate as opposed to a maker- always wanted to try and collect those as well, as many seemed more obscure and rarer than a lot of the mainstream maker's. I guess it was probably down to the quantities made for them, but I only managed to get a few. Always great to see some different from all the common Milners and chubb's out there!
    Thanks, yes I think your probably right about the Fraser plaque as I couldn't really find out much about it other than it features parts of the Glasgow coat of arms and the motto'let Glasgow flourish'. I did manage to get a safe key with their name on. The Cotterills are nice but I woult love one of acid etched one's featured on the HOL meuseum pages.

Yes the etched plates are nice although for me the ornate combined escutcheons are far more appealing to look at.

The only Fraser I have in my notes is Andrew Fraser, but no mention of Glasgow. I'm guessing it's going to be the same one though, as he's listed in 'badge engineered' safes under retailers/dealers. I was about to say one of the few who'll know is Russell Stoner, but it might be a while before he's on here- and then suddenly noticed he was logged in and has posted a reply on the other thread! I would think having a marked Fraser key is even rarer than a Fraser name plate!

Default frazer key

Just had a look at the fraser key and you are correct as it has Andrew Fraser Glasgow stamped on it. I have included photos but they may not be of the best quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140721_162140.jpg   20140721_162149.jpg  

can just about see it all in the 2nd pic- that's an unusual find

Default Andrew Fraser - Safemaker.

As shown below, Andrew Fraser was a safemaker in Bridgeton, Glasgow, and also made safes under the name of Bash & Co. from the same premises.

In the same family John Fraser was the Scottish Agent for the Chatwood Safe Company working from a private address nearby at Glasgow Green.

My Grandfather's company, Fishers for Safes Ltd was on the other hand a dealer in safes, having them made and badged Fishers by Wm E Lee & Son of Brick Lane Sedgley. He later became the Agent for Scotland & Northern Ireland for the Ratner Safe Company.

Andrew Fraser's business fell on hard times in the 30's and 40's and he was then employed as a safe mechanic by Fishers just before I joined the
    company in 1948. These extracts are from a 1934 Glasgow Directory.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frasers.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	12158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fraser, John..JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	12159 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fishers.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	12160

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plates Bash.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	12161 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bash burgled.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	12162
    An early example of a light quality Bash Safe simply opened by having the top hinge removed and the door taken out backwards.

Excellent bit of information, I found it hard to even find any pictures of a fraser plaque. I still haven't managed to acquire a Fishers plaque for my collection. They seem pretty thin on the ground which probably means they're sought after by everyone else too.

more great info again- thanks safeman- so Andrew Fraser's Glasgow safes weren't badge engineered, but actually made in-house- that's a great bit of info as I had him listed as a dealer/trader rather than a maker.

It's great to learn on any of the old makers but even better to find out more on the lesser known and obscure names that are out there

Thread Information