Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

well, im new to drilling vaults, ive been in the industry for 10 years, and ive never drilled anything larger that a coin vault. last company had a locksmith that would travel out from the office and drilled anything with a relocker or a hardplate. So im not sure y it was decided to go through the wall, but hindsight is 20/20 we had no idea y the vault was locked up. this vault had wire relockers, the combo packs were also set screwy, they have to run both to unlock the door, not just one. we were sure that the combos were fine because the were going to the stop point.[/QUOTE]

jgriner

Like you stated most S&V techs and decision makers "have no idea why the vault is locked up." A seasoned tech can diagnose the trouble and drill the door accordingly to neutralize the malfunction without damage. I assume it's the old way of thinking, maybe inexperience in the situation, or incognizant of the door mechanics. In any case it leaves the only another alternative into the vault that comes to mind.

DH

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    How large was the hole? 18 inches, 24 inches, ...?

It is probably important to core drill the wall where, on the inside, there is not some difficult obstacle like a big safe or nest of boxes that might block further access. Any "oops" stories about this?

wylk

Some know coring the wall can be very loud, messy, and a significant annoyance. Sometimes very time consuming from start/opening to finish/repair.

Not done by my company. I can't elaborate on this photo but I can tell you this branch had to be totally rewired. "Opps"

DH

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	12040

Default Coring the wall versus Drilling the door.

Coring the wall versus Drilling the door??

First let me say there is no right, or wrong way. That being said;

A lockout call came in this week to open a Lefebure Class 2 vault door. The door had been locked for 5 days and the bank was ready to core the vault open.

This is a good example because it compares directly to the same time-lock malfunction that caused the vault wall to be cored in this post. The first picture shows my time lock on the right. The second picture shows similar Lefebure doors, and the last shows the core hole versus my 3/8" diameter drill hole.

Without getting into to much detail, I'm able to arrive on site, diagnose the malfunction, drill door open, repair door, correct over-wind of malfunctioning movement, and the door is back in operation same day before the bank's closing time. No loud coring noise, no water damage on wall and floor coverings, no chance of interior vault damage, no after hours security service cost, no expensive ASTM standards wall repair plug, etc.

DH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11.jpg   22.jpg   33.jpg  

Default Knowledge is the difference. ..

Nice work David.

Looking at your photo, I can't tell if you went in and pushed the time locks' block down, or cut the snubber bar. (My quess is pushed the block down).

How long did it take to put the hole in to it?

Please tell me they didn't just wait 5 days hoping it would open on its own...

~Chip J.

Interesting pics of the hole and 'plug' removed.

Sadly my girth (bit above my fighting weight now!) would have probably meant I would have got stuck in the hole needing another one drilling to release me ! The wall would have looked like a piece of chesse at the end of the day.....

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    Nice work David.

Looking at your photo, I can't tell if you went in and pushed the time locks' block down, or cut the snubber bar. (My quess is pushed the block down).

How long did it take to put the hole in to it?

Please tell me they didn't just wait 5 days hoping it would open on its own...

~Chip J.
    Chip,

I will send you a private email.

DH

Thread Information