Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Briggs & Stratton key machine

I recently came in possession of a B&S Corp hand-crank key cutting machine. It had quite a bit of surface rust on the micrometer and jaw and vice areas along with the carriage shaft.I took all the parts off and soaked the rusty ones in cider vinegar overnight and the rust wiped off rather easily.The cutting wheel is a rotary file code wheel which I will send to Gil-Ray Tools in Michigan to be sharpened.The machine seems to be complete except for the crank handle.The only photo I have found on the web is a fuzzy one with little detail. The handle is small and appears to only be cranked with the thumb and forefinger. The base of the machine is 6"x 3".
    Does anyone have a clear photo of this machine? Manuals?
    I'm not including any photos as I have been unable to successfully upload photos to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by bitbuster View Post
    I'm not including any photos as I have been unable to successfully upload photos to this forum.
    Check http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...-to-your-posts for uploading images.

I recently came in possession of a B&S Corp hand-crank key cutting machine.
    Does anyone have a clear photo of this machine? Manuals?
    Laurie Simon's excellent Simon-Says website lists numerous key machines "past and present" but alas nothing for Briggs & Stratton:
    http://www.simon-says.net/lds2/key_machine_index.htm

Pete Schifferli

Here is an image of of vintage Briggs & Stratton machine for cutting keys from code, see thumbnail attached. Had a micrometer depth adjustment and spacing keys A-K. Not a duplicator as you describe but interesting anyway. Photo sourced from ClearStar Security Network archives, a limited access professional locksmiths' website.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Briggs&StrattonCodeMachineClearStar.jpg  

Default B&S key machine

thanks,Pschiffe. that IS the same machine i have, however the one in the photo was updated with a motor.i could do the same thing by installing a sewing machine motor. i also see the photo shows the carriage handle. the carriage handle on mine is missing and had been filed smoothly. when i figure out the photo uploading, i'll post the photos. thanks to all that responded.

thanks,Pschiffe. that IS the same machine i have, however the one in the photo was updated with a motor.i could do the same thing by installing a sewing machine motor. i also see the photo shows the carriage handle. the carriage handle on mine is missing and had been filed smoothly. when i figure out the photo uploading, i'll post the photos. thanks to all that responded.
    Images and description of the Briggs & Stratton No. 80774 automotive key cutting machine can be found in the 1939 Briggs & Stratton catalog, pg. 59-60. Net price including 1939 codes was $34.75! PDF file can be downloaded at the link:
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/aftermarket-...on+Catalog.pdf

Pete Schifferli

Default B&S key machine

thanks again, Pschiffe. i should be able to find a similar pulley handle. may be a little harder to locate and attach the carriage handle.

Thread Information