Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Identyfication needed: Old Key from Kochi (India)

Could someone be so kind and help me with identyfication of this key?
    It was bought for me in Kochi (Cochin), India this year.

This is the only one of this type I have from there.
    Some features of it:
    Length: 12.10 cm
    Made of: iron
    Origin: indian (Kochi, India)

I would like to learn something about it :)

Photo was made by Bezmirnyj
    [facebook.com/BezmirnyjFoto]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oik.jpg  

The key looks like one used with what I call a slider padlock. Like the Chinese push-key padlock, the slider padlock will have two or more springs that must be compressed. The key is inserted at the bottom and then slid across to compress the springs so that the shackle can be removed. I have one that came from Morocco. Although the key looks different, I belive yours works on the same principle. I have included a photo of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG1659.JPG  

Thanks, Scott :)

I agree with you: it must work the same way.
    I like the name 'slider padlock'; I saw some moroccan keys and padlocks, and I recognized there is a few types of 'slider padlocks'.
    The problem is, I've never found a technical term which describes it :)
    Your idea of calling it is very good.

That's interesting, people in different cultures use some ways of constructing things, which are close one to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Kluczarz View Post
    Thanks, Scott :)
    The problem is, I've never found a technical term which describes it :)
    In the lock industry that type of mechanism is known as a barbed spring. It is called that because the locking springs that must be compressed cause a barb action like a fish hook inside the lock and the compression moves the barb out of the way.

I have an animated illustration of one at this link. http://www.1st-net-lock-museum.com/ot1.htm

You can find a definition of it in a Locksmith Dictionary at this link.
    http://locksoft.com/industry/locksmith-dictionary/
    BBE.

Yes, you're right, but I use the term slider padlock to distinguish it from the push-key variety commonly seen on the old style Chinese padlocks. They both use the barb spring principle, but they are constructed differently. I have no desire to impose my terminology on others, but the nomenclature is meaningful for me.

BBE, Scott - thank You a lot! :)

Say, probably the key below is one of that kind (I think it works in pretty similar way)?
    It's egyptian style key, looking like a Grim Reaper's kid's toy ;)

This is key bought for me in southern Morocco from old Berber Man:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

I looked at the image you posted on facebook. It is very unusual. I don't think it operated on the same principle as the so-called Egyptian key. I think it worked similar to the Solomon Henry jointed key (British, patented 1779). The key would be pushed into the keyway that was merely a slit in the door. Once in, the pivoted bit at the end of the key would fall down, and the key would be rotated to move the bolt. I believe the spaces between the key's prongs were meant to bypass a series of wards. However, without seeing the actual lock, this is speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klemm View Post
    The key looks like one used with what I call a slider padlock. Like the Chinese push-key padlock, the slider padlock will have two or more springs that must be compressed. The key is inserted at the bottom and then slid across to compress the springs so that the shackle can be removed. I have one that came from Morocco. Although the key looks different, I belive yours works on the same principle. I have included a photo of mine.
    As Scott Klemm says, this started out as the 'chinese padlock'. Your form of key (sliding in a slot at bottom of lock) is more typical of Arab-made locks, whilst most Chinese and Indian types push in at the end. However, There is a huge variety of patterns, and they were made and in everyday use in many parts of the East until quite recently. They are still made for export to collectors and tourists, and on eastern furniture.

Thread Information