Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Antique diebold lock help

Good morning - i am also a newbie to your sight - have been reading hear for a few weeks and feel i am ready to try a post. Most of the time i can work w/ these locks until satisfied but having some problems on a old diebold lock - not sure if it is a peerless / eagle or what. For you pros you may feel this is a dumb question but here we go
    1) what are the holes in the cover - through the discs and into the main housing for.
    2) what is the brass plate for in the bottom of the housing as shown in the last photo
    3) my drum that the discs turn on is in very poor condition - can it be replaced and does anyone have one?

Not sure if i posted this in the correnct place
    thank you for the time and help invested in this sight ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3141.JPG   100_3143.JPG  

Default Diebold safe combination lock

[QUOTE=IRONKICKER;
    1) what are the holes in the cover - through the discs and into the main housing for.
    2) what is the brass plate for in the bottom of the housing as shown in the last photo
    [/QUOTE]

1) The holes in the wheels are aligned with the hole in the back of the lockcase by dialling the current combination to the smaller 'change' index mark to the left of the opening index mark on the dial outer ring. Then a square change key spanner can be inserted through all the wheels. This disengages the outer/inner parts of the wheels, to allow combination changing.

2) This plate should be ramped in thickness, and is used to adjust the friction on the wheels.

Default Thank you for the help

Thank you for the help - i have learned about the holes but did not know about the bottom plate - still in search of a change key - missed one on ebay guess my offer was to low - thanks again for your time - ron

I do not know where the OP is. However, if no change key is available from Diebold, one to suit should be available from locksmith suppliers, such as HPC.

Thread Information