Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Diebold lock parts help

Good morning - i am also a newbie to your sight - have been reading hear for a few weeks and feel i am ready to try a post. Most of the time i can work w/ these locks until satisfied but having some problems on a old diebold lock - not sure if it is a peerless / eagle or what. For you pros you may feel this is a dumb question but here we go
    1) what are the holes in the cover - through the discs and into the main housing for.
    2) what is the brass plate for in the bottom of the housing as shown in the last photo
    3) my drum that the discs turn on is in very poor condition - can it be replaced and does anyone have one?

Thank you for the time and help invested in this sight ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3141.JPG   100_3143.JPG  

The hole in the lock cover, that also runs through each wheel & into the lock casing are for the change key, which allows the combination of the lock to be changed.

The lock is dialled to align the holes in the wheels with the hole in the lock cover. Most key change locks have a second index marked on the dial ring & alignment of the change key holes in the wheels with each other & the change key hole in the lock's cover is achieved by dialling the combination using this second index mark.

A change key (specific to the model of lock) is inserted & turned through 90 degrees. This disengages the outer section of each wheel from its inner section. A new combination is then dialled, again to the change key index.

Then the change key is turned back through 90 degrees in the opposite direction, which re engages the inner and outer sections of each wheel, and the change key is removed.

When performing this on a safe lock that is in use, the new combination should be tested several times, before locking the safe! Many lockouts are caused by failing to verify that a new combination works.

I am unsure, but I think the brass plate you ask about seems to play a role in the operation of the change key, perhaps it limits the travel of the change key when it is turned.

I do not know if it is possible to repair or replace the wheel post - I'm sure other more experienced members can advise you regarding this.

Hope this helps,

...Mark

Default Change key

Thank you for your time - It is a great help - The search is now on for the correct key Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by mercury View Post
    The hole in the lock cover, that also runs through each wheel & into the lock casing are for the change key, which allows the combination of the lock to be changed.

The lock is dialled to align the holes in the wheels with the hole in the lock cover. Most key change locks have a second index marked on the dial ring & alignment of the change key holes in the wheels with each other & the change key hole in the lock's cover is achieved by dialling the combination using this second index mark.

A change key (specific to the model of lock) is inserted & turned through 90 degrees. This disengages the outer section of each wheel from its inner section. A new combination is then dialled, again to the change key index.

Then the change key is turned back through 90 degrees in the opposite direction, which re engages the inner and outer sections of each wheel, and the change key is removed.

When performing this on a safe lock that is in use, the new combination should be tested several times, before locking the safe! Many lockouts are caused by failing to verify that a new combination works.

I am unsure, but I think the brass plate you ask about seems to play a role in the operation of the change key, perhaps it limits the travel of the change key when it is turned.

I do not know if it is possible to repair or replace the wheel post - I'm sure other more experienced members can advise you regarding this.

Hope this helps,

...Mark

Knowing the model number of the lock will help you find the right change key. This is sometimes indicated on the back cover; could you post a picture of the back cover?

Default Diebold change key // model number

Sorry for the delay - here is a photo of the rear cover - Thank you for the help - Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3241.JPG  

Darn, no model number on the back. You might be able to take the lock to a locksmith to determine which change key to use, then either buy one from the locksmith or watch eBay for one.

Thread Information