Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Yale logo and after market keys

I don't know if this helps, but I have an early Yale paracentric key with four patent dates: Nov. 2, 1891, July 28, l891, Aug. 11, 1891 and Dec. 13, 1898. (I haven't looked up the patents.) My key has a round bow or handle with an embossed trefoil with the letters Y and T.

Default I have the same keys-but one lacks the 1898 date.

I went through my Yale keys and found several with the same 1891/1898 patent dates, and on careful inspection it looks like most were at one time gold colored in the bow. One without the 1898 date is a round Y&T paracentric, but the surface is much different on the bow--instead of very fine cross-hatching it's textured almost like a pebble surface. Another Y&T paracentric has totally smooth surfaces and no patent dates anywhere, but it is a G surety keyway instead of the paracentric Yale 8. Until I saw this one I had always assumed all Y&T "paracentric" were Yale 8 keys. Quite honestly, the variety of early keys is bewildering. It seems after the late 1920's-early 1930's they settled on the familiar YALE keys with the all-caps no border trademark and stuck with it right up until Eaton Corp. decided to switch to the lowercase Yale mark. Any idea when YALE-->Yale, and the odd offset square head keys were introduced? Seems those didn't last very long.

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    Any idea when YALE-->Yale, and the odd offset square head keys were introduced? Seems those didn't last very long.
    I'm guessing this may have coincided with the period when Yale & Towne was acquired by the Eaton Mfg. Co. in 1963 and the subsequent sale to Scoville Mfg. Co. in 1979.

Pete Schifferli

I would agree with the 1960-70s time frame.

Here are a couple keys I got last week:
    EE94D10B9BEF4672A207324A0BB60320 zpsygno 1
    I picked up a couple NOS Yale and Towne/Eaton blanks on Friday.

Old Yale paracentric's aren't really my thing but seeing this I knew I had a few stored away somewhere. Thinking the patent dates would be the same as those on Scott's key I didn't think much of it, but it turns out they're actually different again.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y&T para keys.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	170.2 KB 
ID:	12251
    The centre key is badly worn but 1881 is clear, as is Nov 1880 and Oct 1878 under magnification. the last is worn so smooth only the final 1 of the date is discernible, so xxx1. I think I might have a few more but won't know until I find them

Default Yale logo and after market keys

Don't know if this going to do any good but found this a while back... Timothy..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1902 AD Old Style Vintage Skeleton Keys Brass Yale Towne ($12.50) B.jpg  

Thread Information