Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default What is this key

I have this large bronze/brass key, I was told by someone it is some sort of railroad key but I can't find anything about it.
    Maybe one of the members here can give me a clue.
    One side has a number and the other has a very small logo, it's the word Aurora inside a diamond.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails key1.JPG   key2.JPG  

Default Re: What is this key

Could it be a watchman's key? Very large and no hole in the bow to hang it. Perhaps it was made big so the watchman did not take it off site by accident?? Perhaps it was made that size so it was not lost/misplaced/damaged...that didn't work did it!

This key is a reverser key for a locomotive. It is quite heavy and the operator is required to remove it when he leaves the train therefore there is also a light weight plastic one available that can be taken out and carried in a pocket without weighing down a persons pants. I have both types in my collection ( I had the plastic one for 10 years before I found out what it was.).

Sounds like you have the answer.
    I was told it was some sort of railroad switch key but that didn't seem right.
    I know the Aurora Co. made alot of locomotive parts so I figured there was some connection but didn't know what.

Do you know what era locomotives these were used on?
    If you know I would like to know.

Thanks

Thread Information