Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default S. Mordan Strongbox

Does anyone by any chance happen to have a picture of one of these in its former glory. I have searched for them and only come up with a leather writers box. Sampson Mordan was a apprentice to John Bramah and is said to have invented the propelling pencil. I am guessing the big hole beneath the name plate was once the home of a Bramah lock. I have believe it or not been aske to open this without Damaging it. There is a lot of information about Sampson Mordan to be found by various searches however none of them shows this box or any other steel boxes of this nature.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3040.JPG  
    Last edited by Ian D. Lewis; 05-06-14 at 03:40 PM.

I would have to admit that I would view that as a lump of scrap, apart from the name plate...

Believe it or not I have been asked to do a NDE opening. But I think that boats already sailed as there is a big hole were there is supposed to be a lock. But the owners would like to see what it looked like back in the day.

Surely the door looks completely rusted to the body...not to mention that hole. How about cutting a hole in the back, unscrewing the pan and seeing whether or not the door can be smashed open from inside once the lock is no longer connected to it? It can then have the rear hole welded up with no damage to the beautiful rust showing on the door.

For now all I need is a picture of one as it might have looked when it was new. The hole near the name plate was probably home to a Bramah Lock. I have seen other Mordan Product and all seem to have Bramah locks fitted. I believe this unit was probably opened many many years ago and it was dumped in the garden. I think the mechanism might have been removed and only the rust I holding the Lid/door shut.
    There seems to be a lot of information available about Mordan Products, but no mention of Safes or Strongboxes, so I think these were made by someone else and badged for Mordan.

That's an interesting box Ian and a real shame it's in such poor condition. It looks like there's no cylinder at all from the picture, and like others said that door is almost definitely fused to the body with rust.

Interesting for me as it possibly solves a mystery- had this S Mordan cylinder and key for over 50 years and never been able to really match any definite container to it.

When you say theres loads of Mordan info on the net I'm guessing it's about his silverware and gold products- pencils, snuff boxes etc etc? I've never managed to trawl up anything of real value on his locks, although there is plenty of his history covered, with reference to his early years with Bramah. No doubt his locks are far rarer than his silver and gold pencils for which he is far more famous. His locks though are pretty much regarded as equal on terms of quality and precision as bramah's- this one certainly is on par. He followed on the design but certainly didn't cut any corners like most of those old makers that copied something else.

Hope someone can post pics of a complete chest in original condition as I'd love to see one, but I think it's going to be a tall order. The odd bureau and writing slope turns up but never see much else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SML3.jpg   SML1.jpg  

Thanks Max I would say that's almost certainly a Bramah Lock even though its stamped S. Mordan. As I mentioned before Sampson Mordan was apprentice to John Bramah who apart from making good locks, also invented the refillable bladder for ink pens. I am guessing Bramah possibly made the strong box.
    There s also this thread on the forum
    http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...an-amp-Co-Lock
    Last edited by Ian D. Lewis; 09-06-14 at 10:00 PM.

Mordan made his own locks, usually with odd numbers of sliders whereas bramah used even numbers.

The locks were usually directly attached to the boltwork.

I've seen multiple examples when I used to do lots of bramah keymaking.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    Mordan made his own locks, usually with odd numbers of sliders whereas bramah used even numbers.

The locks were usually directly attached to the boltwork.

I've seen multiple examples when I used to do lots of bramah keymaking.
    Thank you. That makes a lot of sense, especially with Max's lock. I can go back now and see if there is any boltwork left inside.

Mordan was with Bramah for a year before he died - and his lock patent had just expired. Mordan went on to make a huge range of fancy goods, silverware (unlike Bramah, Mordan had his own silver mark), and propelling pencils. Over the years, a variety of mostly small boxes and safes badged 'Mordan' and with bramah-type locks, have been seen in the antiques trade. All quality items. Some safes were fitted into wooden bedside or other cabinets as disguise. It's not clear if Mordan actually made the safes, as his City works was quite small, but there were several 19C safemakers in the City. Certainly Mordan made his own locks. The works was blitzed in 1940 and Samson Mordan & Co. ceased trading, but the company was not actually wound up until after the war, the City gapsite being among the few assets available at the creditors' meeting.

Some engineers have had success with electrolytic cleaning - seized engines, for example, come apart easily after such de-rusting. That might help this box?

Thread Information