Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Master 53 and Master 53C bit keys

I have two bit keys. One is stamped Master 53 and the other Master 53C. Does anyone know what company manufactured the locks that go with these keys or where these keys fit in the over scheme of the keys for the company? Judging from the appearenced it looks like Master 53 is the grand master and 53C might be the sub master. I was told that there were seperate bit keys for each interior door in the building and the Master 53 unlocked them all. I would love to learn more about the keys and locks related to them. If anyone can steer me to a good source it would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by frederico View Post
    I have two bit keys. One is stamped Master 53 and the other Master 53C. Does anyone know what company manufactured the locks that go with these keys or where these keys fit in the over scheme of the keys for the company? Judging from the appearenced it looks like Master 53 is the grand master and 53C might be the sub master. I was told that there were seperate bit keys for each interior door in the building and the Master 53 unlocked them all. I would love to learn more about the keys and locks related to them. If anyone can steer me to a good source it would be appreciated.
    I don't know about 53C but "Master 53" was a very common bit key master used on old P&F Corbin schoolhouse lever tumbler locks. Long discontinued, but malleable iron precuts are still made by Ilco, their 53 Master, see thumbnail attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ilco53master.jpg  

Default Master 53

Thanks for the accurate info. I had been told it was a Sargent key but today an older locksmith told me that local schools used the master in the first half of the last century for interior doors and Corbin pin tumbler locks to exterior doors. He said they were high quality heavy duty locks. He didn't know what the Master 53C was either. It's amazing that you can still get a precut copy from Ilco. They must have used it alot. I am going to try to find out what change keys were used in the system for which the 53 was master. It helps to know the manufacturer. Thanks.

Default Master 53 Corbin bit key

No luck finding out anything about this key on the inet. I know that Corbin had a number of series of bit keys with id id#s (i.e. P series starting with P1). Does anyone know what series of Corbin key it is the master for?

I will be passing right by New Britain, CT home of Corbin on Friday. Is there anything left of the old Corbin company there? Any library of their old materials to look through?

No luck finding out anything about this key on the inet. I know that Corbin had a number of series of bit keys with id id#s (i.e. P series starting with P1). Does anyone know what series of Corbin key it is the master for?

I will be passing right by New Britain, CT home of Corbin on Friday. Is there anything left of the old Corbin company there? Any library of their old materials to look through?
    P & F Corbin, whose roots go back to 1849; morphed into Corbin Russwin when the P & F Corbin and Russwin (formerly Russell & Erwin) brands were merged in April, 1993. Now as ASSA ABLOY group company, the plant is located in Berlin, CT. I don't know if any portion of the old P & F Corbin plants in New Britain are still standing. That change key class was designated 80-7/8 while the master key class was 080-7/8. I have an original No. 133 mortise deadbolt from a 1920s school house and the change key is stamped H743, this is also operated by the 53 Master. See thumbnail attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coorbin133SchoolhouseDeadbolt.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    P & F Corbin, whose roots go back to 1849; morphed into Corbin Russwin when the P & F Corbin and Russwin (formerly Russell & Erwin) brands were merged in April, 1993. Now as ASSA ABLOY group company, the plant is located in Berlin, CT. I don't know if any portion of the old P & F Corbin plants in New Britain are still standing. That change key class was designated 80-7/8 while the master key class was 080-7/8. I have an original No. 133 mortise deadbolt from a 1920s school house and the change key is stamped H743, this is also operated by the 53 Master. See thumbnail attached.

Pete Schifferli
    The plant in CT was abandoned years ago when Offices were moved to Yale headquarters and manufacturing moved to TN. It is my understanding that they have been moved back and the TN location closed around the first of the year. All of that was rumor to me and hasn't been verified yet.
    BBE.

Thanks for the info and the thumbnail. It was exactly what I was looking for. I did not have much luck finding any info myself on the inet. However, Berlin, Ct is just down the road from New Britain, Ct and I will pass right by there tomorrow. It looks like Corbin Russwin is currently located there. I am going to try to see if there is any archive or museum located there.

The ad you posted suggests 1 grand master with four sub-masters. My guess is that the 53 master is the grand master and the 53C master is one of the four sub-masters (53A to 53D perhaps). The 53 Master is the master shown in the ad and the one shown in the Ilco excerpt.

It is difficult to find anything on the inet like the info you provided. Coincidently, I just found out that my elementary school, built in 1929 is being sold and will most likely be demolilshed. It they sell off the furnishings I will have to get over there to see if there are any good locks like this for sale. Sad to see the building disappear. It is a beautiful old classic school house.

Thanks for the info and the thumbnail. It was exactly what I was looking for. I did not have much luck finding any info myself on the inet. However, Berlin, Ct is just down the road from New Britain, Ct and I will pass right by there tomorrow. It looks like Corbin Russwin is currently located there. I am going to try to see if there is any archive or museum located there.
    I don't know if they have any "archive or museum" but I suggest a visit to The Lock Museum of America in Terryville, CT. They have the following P & F Corbin lock and hardware catalogs and many more:
    • 1867 - 135 pgs.
    • 1871 - 160 pgs.
    • 1905 - 938 pgs.
    • 1912 - 483 pgs.
    • 1928 - 662 pgs.
    • 1956 - 348 pgs.
    • 1972 - 200 pgs.
    • 1975 - 224 pgs.

Website here:
    http://www.lockmuseumofamerica.org/home.aspx

Pete Schifferli

Looks I am going to be cutting out of my conference a bit early tomorrow. Terryville is right in the same area and the museum is barely out of my way. Road trip and a lock museum sound like a good afternoon.

Thread Information