Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default HOBBS HART & Co BANK SAFE DOOR PLATE SET

Hi,
    just finished cleaning up all the old paint that completely covered all these items off an old Victorian Bank vault

They were soaked in baking soda and heated for 25 minutes in a microwave oven to remove the old paint and the brass was cleaned in lemon juice so as to preserve all the high points on the detail which the layers of old paint protected over the years, will resist the urge to use my buffing machine,

They were recovered from an old Bank in Union Road Ascot Vale, Melbourne, Australia that was being partially demolished and renovated for a coffee shop

I wandered in hoping some items were still there thankfully the old paint hid all the detail from the workers who let me take them off the huge vault door

As I was removing the pieces I noticed that there was a large plate missing on the inside of the door a quick ask around found it with one of the wrecking crew who soon parted with it for $15.00

Cheers
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOBBS & Co COMPLETE BANK SAFE SET...jpg   HOBBS & Co BANK SAFE LOCK SET..jpg  

Default Nice plaques

Nice plaques and well done for resisting the urge to buff them up. Great self control. I didn't manage to hold back and the cast iron plate from the inside of the door is now gleaming silver. Must be the magpie in me l hate any form of corrosion and the buffer relieves the tension. Out it comes on most occasions. Keep posting your picks of your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    Nice plaques and well done for resisting the urge to buff them up. Great self control. I didn't manage to hold back and the cast iron plate from the inside of the door is now gleaming silver. Must be the magpie in me l hate any form of corrosion and the buffer relieves the tension. Out it comes on most occasions. Keep posting your picks of your collection.
    Thanks for the feedback, actually I will be doing some work to the cast iron plate, I will smooth the face end and sides and a little bit of buffing then I will get it brass plated as the casting is a little rough l plan to mount it onto my safe door which is a Hobbs and Hart with has a lovely Coat of Arms and very similar fittings as what I have displayed

Cheers

Michael

Thread Information