Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default An item I would love to have indentified please...

Hello folks I am new here and would hope you could identify this item that I think is in your field of collecting..... A sort of door closure.... I have tried to upload a lot more photo's for you to view, but they will not upload in one go.... I will provide more if needed.

It was found in the grounds of a long derelict house in Sweden....
    I would appreciate any information on it.Thank you.
    Kind regards,Joseph...

P.s. I have tried 3 times to upload photo's with no luck, any ideas folks....

Check out this thread on uploading images:

http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...ghlight=upload

"Anyway, thanks for saying you can put the pics up if I email them to yourself.... So here they are...Not a lock, but guess you folks will have an idea of age....This was found in Sweden on the site where an old house once stood....house age unknown, it had been cleared and just rotten wood and large stones remained.... I cleaned this with a wire brush years ago as it was covered in rust etc....."

My pleasure, glad they worked for me. Being a padlock guy, I can't offer any help on your latch but having the pictures should help on a response. It is a cool looking piece!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 015.JPG   016.JPG   017.JPG   018.JPG   019.JPG  

020.JPG   021.JPG   022.JPG  

A very nice example of a cupboard or pantry lock. It would have been mounted on the outside of the door and served to hold the door in place. Similar locks for entry doors would have had a key hole on the back side that would be flush with the door, this one does not have that. As for a time frame, I would guess 1700's or earlier. I would suggest looking at property records to see some indication of when it might have been last sold and that would at least give you a date for when the building was possible to occupy. BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by bbcci View Post
    "Anyway, thanks for saying you can put the pics up if I email them to yourself.... So here they are...Not a lock, but guess you folks will have an idea of age....This was found in Sweden on the site where an old house once stood....house age unknown, it had been cleared and just rotten wood and large stones remained.... I cleaned this with a wire brush years ago as it was covered in rust etc....."

My pleasure, glad they worked for me. Being a padlock guy, I can't offer any help on your latch but having the pictures should help on a response. It is a cool looking piece!

Great to see the photo's on here and Thanks again for your help, much appreciated....

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    A very nice example of a cupboard or pantry lock. It would have been mounted on the outside of the door and served to hold the door in place. Similar locks for entry doors would have had a key hole on the back side that would be flush with the door, this one does not have that. As for a time frame, I would guess 1700's or earlier. I would suggest looking at property records to see some indication of when it might have been last sold and that would at least give you a date for when the building was possible to occupy. BBE.

Great info and a good suggestion about looking at the property records.I really like the thought of it being so old, but would ask how can you tell, is it the style that helps with working out it's age....... Thank you for your help, much appreciated......

Quote Originally Posted by joseph View Post
    Great info and a good suggestion about looking at the property records.I really like the thought of it being so old, but would ask how can you tell, is it the style that helps with working out it's age....... Thank you for your help, much appreciated......
    The style is very like that period and a couple of hundred years prior to that. The industrial revolution changed all that and very few locks were made that substantial once machinery was involved. BBE.

Thread Information