Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagle Lock Key

Default Eagle Lock Key

Hello all, I have a small marine chronometer in a box that has an Eagle Lock securing it. Unfortunately the key is missing but I do know the proper code for it. It is a small "flat" key with the code "AG" on it and the name Eagle Lock Co Terryville Conn. Any help you could provide me in finding one would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PJR View Post
    Hello all, I have a small marine chronometer in a box that has an Eagle Lock securing it. Unfortunately the key is missing but I do know the proper code for it. It is a small "flat" key with the code "AG" on it and the name Eagle Lock Co Terryville Conn. Any help you could provide me in finding one would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Paul
    The Eagle Lock Co. which dates back to 1854 went out-of-business in June, 1975. I'm told all the codes were destroyed at that time. Locksmiths have access to some of the Eagle codes but I don't believe that one is available and few flat steel keys are cut from code anyway. An old time lockshop might possibly have a precut or a competent locksmith should be able to make you a key.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    The Eagle Lock Co. which dates back to 1854 went out-of-business in June, 1975. I'm told all the codes were destroyed at that time. Locksmiths have access to some of the Eagle codes but I don't believe that one is available and few flat steel keys are cut from code anyway. An old time lockshop might possibly have a precut or a competent locksmith should be able to make you a key.

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks Pete, I appreciate your quick response.

Default Picture.

can you post a picture of the lock?

Can you post some pictures of the chronometer, too? I wanted to collect clocks many years ago but they tend to be pricey. So I took the word "clock" and dropped the "c" and started collecting locks instead.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyup View Post
    can you post a picture of the lock?
    Hi, here is a pic of the lock and a correct key I was able to temporarily borrow. The box is 5" across.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5141.JPG   DSCN5142.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Can you post some pictures of the chronometer, too? I wanted to collect clocks many years ago but they tend to be pricey. So I took the word "clock" and dropped the "c" and started collecting locks instead.
    This is the subject clock. It is a small marine chronometer made by the Hamilton Watch Co in the early 1900's. It is call a Hamilton "36" in gimbals. The gimbals absorbed the rocking of the ship thus creating a more accurate clock. These were used for navigation. These small "deck watches" were used on small Navy ships such as Torpedo Boats. In fact this size is typically called a Torpedo Boat Deck Watch. They were made by the three major US manufacturers at the time (Hamilton, Waltham, and Elgin), some private small US makers and several European makers. The lock was so that no one could mess with the time which was used to determine longitude. There are also large chronometers with special escapements that were used on any ship. These large chronometers were very accurate in being used to determine longitude.
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5143.JPG   DSCN5144.JPG   DSCN5145.JPG  

Default Key copy

Hi, here is a pic of the lock and a correct key I was able to temporarily borrow. The box is 5" across.

Paul
    I realize you don't know me but if you send me that key or a very accurate trace of that
    key, I can file a copy for you from some blanks that I have. No charge.

I'm part of Adrian Weber's locksport group if you want to check on my credentials.

Have a good one,
    Rick Guenther

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140517_182608.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyup View Post
    I realize you don't know me but if you send me that key or a very accurate trace of that
    key, I can file a copy for you from some blanks that I have. No charge.

I'm part of Adrian Weber's locksport group if you want to check on my credentials.

Have a good one,
    Rick Guenther

Thanks for the generous offer Rick. I talked to the key owner and he is uncomfortable with his key going beyond me. If you can either tell me a source or sell me one of the pictured keys blanks, I am capable of filing it. I have a home machine shop including a lathe and milling machine and equipment for the repair of clocks and watches.
    Thanks, Paul

Thanks for the generous offer Rick. I talked to the key owner and he is uncomfortable with his key going beyond me. If you can either tell me a source or sell me one of the pictured keys blanks, I am capable of filing it. I have a home machine shop including a lathe and milling machine and equipment for the repair of clocks and watches.
    Thanks, Paul
    It is a matter of securing a flat steel key blank of the correct thickness and width. Although the original Eagle and many other flat steel key blanks are long obsolete, Ilco still offers a good selection of sizes for universal application. See pdf of Section 6a of their Key Blank Directory 12th Edition at the link. Blanks could be purchased from a locksmith supply house or retail locksmith, most of whom have machinery capable of accurately duplicating that key within a few seconds time.
    http://coremedia.kaba-ilco.com/key-s...ttachment=True

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information