Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

it was actually a bit delicate to both photograph and be able to publish the photos online. I was very lucky to have the MSI backing me up, and the relatively new head of collections at the Stamford is very forward thinking. It took several weeks to go from initial contact to photographing to publishing them online. They are becoming quite supportive of the project, thankfully, and at their most recent board meeting agreed to licensing for the photos that would allow them to be seen by the public.
    That I agree was actually well executed thank you for that!
    No offense Schuyler we will see where this leads.

Best luck to you friend

Adrian

Thanks, Adrian!

So, had the interview with Yolanda Pope yesterday, widow of the late Paul Charles Pope, who was the director of Marketing for Y&T's (and later Eaton Y&T) European & other International markets. She was incredibly gracious to give me 3 hours of her time, during which I learned a lot about their life together, his travels with the company, and how he came into possession of 1/3rd of the Y&T collection. I haven't transcribed the interview, yet, and a lot of our time was devoted to fairly personal stories about their lives that probably won't be appropriate to share publicly, though I do hope she'll let us include some of it if we ever get to exhibit the collection again, as I think it adds a lot of personality to the story.

When I get the transcription done I'll report back with dates and places, but she confirmed that the portion of the collection he had was supposed to be disposed of. She said the exact language used was "Go throw these in the Hudson River", and while she doesn't have an exact date, I think we can narrow it down based on his various assignments, as her family was moved around quite a bit. For now I can somewhat confidently say he took the locks sometime around 1960-1963. She doesn't know who gave him the order, but we do know now that at that time he worked directly under Leo Pantis in Greenwich, Connecticut, who may have had the title of General Manager or Vice President of something. I'm not 100% on that last name, as we don't have a hard spelling of it, but it certainly sounds like "Pantis".

Mrs. Pope has also offered to reach out to the wife of man who took the other 3rd of the collection, though she warned us not to expect much, as she doubts that she would still have any of the pieces. So, 2/3rds may be all we get, but its still a lovely collection.

No new photos from this trip, sorry. I need to work out how the MSI wants to deal with rights management, and as they are a much larger organization than the Stamford, it sounds like its going to be a much longer process involving lawyers. We'll see what happens!

I also have a growing collection of documentation I need to go through, but haven't had the chance yet, as I've been traveling around doing workshops to fund this research (neither Museum is paying me, so this is all out of pocket at the moment) and the next trip will be in July to the University of Connecticut for a week to go through the Y&T company records. I'll start going through the documentation in the meanwhile and report back!

Thread Information