Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default DANGER Will Robinson!

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    They are called Stop Works Buttons. When they are functioning correctly 1 will prevent the knob on the outside from retracting the latch and the other will allow it to be retracted. Push one, see what it does, then push the other to see what it does.
    BBE.
    Questionable advise. This is a (trap/thief feature). You push the lower pushbutton in and close the door, you are in for the night, or until someone brings a key to let you out. Someone has to know it does this and can leave trapping whomever is inside (whether desirable, or not). DISABLE IT and don't wait for the a**hole air conditioner repair guy to close the door and think he is locking it by pushing that button in and not just close the door. It is a FIRE SAFETY hazard and can get you sued if someone is trapped and doesn't know its function. Additionally if you need EMS, they ain't gettin in. Smiths wanted $1-200 (mainly for the visit) to disable this function. I just drilled and installed a screw at buttons edge. Another try is epoxy (maybe both?). I do not say you do what I did. I would go to locksmiths and ask for his help. Even worth $$ if he advises you. Not best, but holding so far. IF someone knows better way please let me know. Fixed income (disabled) so money for this should not be needed if a FIY. Other models of this set had screw thread in middle of each button. You turn it and cannot be pushed unless you have screwdriver for access first. Another idea is the smooth area around push buttons should have threading so you can use a type of screw to fasten inside area covering access. PS You have claustrophobia and you will be glad you did not 'see what it does'. Great site. Only one I found that told me what these parts (formally) did. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by prisoner View Post
    Questionable advise. This is a (trap/thief feature)...... Cheers
    Au contraire, it is good advise. No residential lockset is designed nor should be modified to trap anyone, rather immediate exit should always be available from the interior, this is a life safety feature and should not be tampered with. If the lock is not functioning properly, it should be repaired or replaced by a competant locksmith. My two cents.

Pete Schifferli

Questionable advise. This is a (trap/thief feature). You push the lower pushbutton in and close the door, you are in for the night, or until someone brings a key to let you out.
    If you have encountered that kind of situation it means that someone has done a do-it-yourself job and used a solid spindle instead of the split spindle the lock is designed to have. I have an article on one of my web sites that explains spindles in detail, see this link.

http://www.thelockmanpublic.com/inside-knob.htm

There are also other articles there at the same site to help the DIY person do a lot of things the correct way instead of just guessing.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Au contraire, it is good advise. No residential lockset is designed nor should be modified to trap anyone, rather immediate exit should always be available from the interior, this is a life safety feature and should not be tampered with. If the lock is not functioning properly, it should be repaired or replaced by a competant locksmith. My two cents.

Pete Schifferli
    IF I saw those buttons and did what was suggested (not knowing what they do, or can do) and pushed the top button in and closed the door that is all I would need to find out about what can happen. I would have been locked in. If the active direction is close the door (try it) I would have suggested AFTER changing the configuration try turning the knobs, or seeing what moves and doesn't while the door is opened. My $10 (what I had to tip someone to come by my back window to catch my keys and free me).

IF I saw those buttons and did what was suggested (not knowing what they do, or can do) and pushed the top button in and closed the door that is all I would need to find out about what can happen. I would have been locked in. If the active direction is close the door (try it) I would have suggested AFTER changing the configuration try turning the knobs, or seeing what moves and doesn't while the door is opened. My $10 (what I had to tip someone to come by my back window to catch my keys and free me).
    I wish you would quit reading between the lines and misquoting me at the same time. Here is exactly what I posted.

"They are called Stop Works Buttons. When they are functioning correctly 1 will prevent the knob on the outside from retracting the latch and the other will allow it to be retracted. Push one, see what it does, then push the other to see what it does."

Nowhere did I say close the door and I specifically said 'when they are functioning correctly'. If you had bothered to digest what I posted without interjecting your own bad experience you may have learned something.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    As Pete mentioned there is a spindle that goes through the lock and the door. Inside the lock the part the spindle goes through is called the HUB. That hub can be made in two halves, one close to the outside and the other closer to the inside. Typically the one closer to the inside has a smaller hole for the spindle. The spindle is what the knobs are attached to and, for this type of lock, is also in two parts so that each may turn independently, i.e. a split spindle. If the alignment of where it is split is off it may not work properly. It is also possible that the two halves of the spindle can be tightened to much against each other not allowing them to turn independently.

Another thing that can cause a problem is if someone replaced the split spindle with a solid one. If it is a split spindle then the alignment is most likely the problem.
    BBE.
    very helpful, thanks!

Thread Information