Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Locked Chest - and No Key

Greetings,

My wife's Grandmother gave us an old chest awhile back and she never did give us a key. We don't really know how to go about opening it up. I don't know if it would be worth looking for a key at antique shops or not. Also, are these locks difficult to pick?

I've included some Pictures of the lock below. I appreciate you taking the time to have a look.

-Jesse

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	838.6 KB 
ID:	11721 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	729.7 KB 
ID:	11722

Quote Originally Posted by Swatch View Post
    Greetings,

My wife's Grandmother gave us an old chest awhile back and she never did give us a key. We don't really know how to go about opening it up. I don't know if it would be worth looking for a key at antique shops or not. Also, are these locks difficult to pick?

I've included some Pictures of the lock below. I appreciate you taking the time to have a look.

-Jesse

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	838.6 KB 
ID:	11721 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	729.7 KB 
ID:	11722
    Can you give an idea of scale, ie the size of the keyhole in particular?

It looks like it's quite well made. It's probably worth getting a professional to have a look at it.

Being it is double catch and double flag key, I would have to say it might be an interesting lock to pick or make keys to. If I was to guess I would say 4-8 lever lock or 2-4 levers per side. I would say that if someone was to scope the lock and read the levers they might be able to fit a key. Finding such a person is the question.

Although this has been top of the board for ages it's only now curiosities made me have a look- probably sorted by now anyway, but like Dean said it might well be an interesting one to pick. You might also be right on the internals Dean, but looking at the pictures I'd be surprised if it has more than a couple of levers.

It looks well made, but most still relied on combinations of small size, double 'bit' or 'flag' key, couple of levers and small wards for security. the escutcheon might give the impression of a miniature Kromer Novum but my guess is there's not going to be much going on inside.

I used to see beautiful wooden roller front desks years ago because no one else would pick them- they were a bit of an exception in that they did have as many as 10 or 12 very thin levers- difficult to quickly describe their workings- 5 or 6 levers either side of the key, each of which also locked the top on a 'hook' or 'claw' principle. The hooks projected from the salvage of the lock in 2 rows opposing each other. They could be quite difficult and needed a different approach to picking, but I can't see this chest using anything like that principle, I'd be very surprised if there's more than a couple of levers and perhaps a small ward at the back.

like Al said it would have helped to have an idea of size, and also agree you're better off with a professional who isn't afraid of a bit of intricate fiddling. i think it's more than likely a lot more basic than many might think, but it does look a very nice chest so you want someone who knows what their doing and isn't afraid of it

Thread Information