Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Unusual safe/vault images

I thought I'd start a thread on unusual imagery of safes and vaults. For example, adapting "stock images" in strange ways.

Here's an example from ATR Aircraft (http://www.atraircraft.com) trying to get across the notion that their planes will make you money. From my perspective, I see an airplane that won't get off the ground.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATR1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	11703 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATR2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	11704

Another odd example is a stock vault image modified to represent financial issues of the new agricultural product in Colorado (http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/mo...-business.html):

Name:	7abankingmarijuana_600.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	11705

Another one, not quite as weird. This is often seen with articles about the security of cloud computing.

Name:	vault-safe-cloud-security.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	11710

Somebody photoshopped an image from Shorty's Urban Market (Lexington, KY) to suggest a giant spider crawling out. Why? Who knows!

Name:	spider.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	12666

A little less unusual, vaults are/were used for advertising. This group of images looks like the same door was used.

Name:	Weird - Blatz.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	12685 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weird - Collage.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	998.4 KB 
ID:	12686 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37143 copy.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	12687
    The middle image is not an ad (it's part of an artist's collage) but it looks like the Blatz image was photoshopped. The Seagram's door looks very similar but photographed from a slightly different angle and with the bolts retracted. I believe the door is a Mosler.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    I thought I'd start a thread on unusual imagery of safes and vaults. For example, adapting "stock images" in strange ways.

Another odd example is a stock vault image modified to represent financial issues of the new agricultural product in Colorado (http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/mo...-business.html):

Name:	7abankingmarijuana_600.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	11705
    Looks like somebody's stash of 'grass' being kept securely.

Another "like money in the bank" advertisement, this time from Hughes Aircraft, electronics division, in 1962:

Name:	weird 1962.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	12931

It's hard to say much about the vault door itself. It's right handed and uses two horizontal pressure bars, common on Mosler and Diebold doors and possibly others.

Back on February 8, 2013, there was a discussion of the vault used in the film "The Pelican Brief" (in the thread "Safes & Vaults versus Hollywood"). I believe this is the former Riggs National Bank in Washington, DC (1503 and 1505 Pennsylvania Avenue NW). Here's an odd joint project between eBay and the USPS from 2007:

Name:	Riggs National Bank 2007 DC 4b.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	320.7 KB 
ID:	13210

It looks like they photoshopped in the clothing and did a fairly decent job.

Another vault image except it's become common for old banks to turn into a restaurant. I can't tell much about the door except "The First" can be seen on the inner ring, probably the beginning of "The First National Bank" but that's a guess. I don't recognize it from other collected images. This ad is from 1980.

Name:	pbvault 1980.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	698.1 KB 
ID:	13560

This one is from an article about artwork being stored in vaults in Switzerland. So of course the drawing is very artsy. A triple-round-door vault with an art museum inside. And each door is different.

Name:	Weird - artsy 3-door.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	377.5 KB 
ID:	13976

A square image meant to evoke old vinyl records, with a vault full of vinyl records:

Name:	TheVault1_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	356.3 KB 
ID:	14535

This is based on a fairly common stock image that was also used for the "cloud computing" image posted earlier:

Name:	4540010_l.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	384.5 KB 
ID:	14536

The layout of the locks, time lock, and boltwork seem to be a reasonable approximation of Diebold doors though the gearing is a bit suspect. It also looks like a computer-generated scene.

Thread Information