Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Unknown Safe - help please

Hi Chaps (and Chapesses if there are any here?),

Would anyone be able to help with the identification of this safe, I'm particularly interested in the lock which I was told many years ago was a Bramah.

The one and only key (not original)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails safe1.jpg   safe2.jpg   safe3.jpg   safekey.jpg  

Default Re: Unknown Safe - help please

The Lock is a Cotterill. There are other examples of cotterill lock on the site which will show what the key should look like.

Thank you for the information Oldlock, all I've got to do now is to get the lock out :shock:

Your safe, young man, appears to be a Phillips & son. Circa 1890-1910.

At the moment, I too am renovating an almost itentical safe. Mine has a double drawer and additional central shelf support.

Mid range Phillips safes used the unusual round back pan fastnings on a 1/4" treaded rod.

At some stage, i will be showing images of its restoration.

Good luck with yours.

Regards
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by astrantiger
    Thank you for the information Oldlock, all I've got to do now is to get the lock out :shock:
    Think of the round discs as nuts with no flat edges, to undo them you will need a plumbers wrench / stilsons wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stoner
    Your safe, young man, appears to be a Phillips & son. Circa 1890-1910.

At the moment, I too am renovating an almost itentical safe. Mine has a double drawer and additional central shelf support.

Mid range Phillips safes used the unusual round back pan fastnings on a 1/4" treaded rod.

At some stage, i will be showing images of its restoration.

Good luck with yours.

Regards
    Russell
    I do believe you are correct Russell :D did a google search and found one almost identical, all the dimensions matched so its pretty safe to agree with your comments. The only thing slight difference with the Philips safe that I found was the lack of round fastenings, below is a pic of the safe I found on google.

Nigel

PS Thanks for the 'young man' comment, dont get many of those when you're 60 and a bit :D :D :D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF161819B.jpg  

Thread Information