Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Keil of New York Skeleton Key Machine model 31/2 ?

Hello everyone,
    I have recently purchased a vintage Keil Key cutter machine. It is really a work of art. After doing some research, it seems similar to the 31/2 model. Mine doesn't have a model number tag on it. It is stamped "403". Any info would be very much appreciated.
    I have included some pics. (have more)
    Thanks, Rage
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails key 1 B.jpg   key 2B.jpg   key 11b.jpg   key 15b.jpg   key 25b.jpg  

key 6b.jpg   key 14.jpg   key 5b.jpg   key 17b.jpg   key 10b.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rage View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I have recently purchased a vintage Keil Key cutter machine. It is really a work of art. After doing some research, it seems similar to the 31/2 model. Mine doesn't have a model number tag on it. It is stamped "403". Any info would be very much appreciated.
    I have included some pics. (have more)
    Thanks, Rage
    Very nice, yes; appears be to a model 3-1/2 combination of the fully automatic duplicator and code machine, #1 and the #6 turret, cylinder, flat, bit keys*. Francis Keil & Son, Inc. (Keil New York) was formed in 1876, they were acquired by competitor Ilco (now Kaba Ilco Corp.) in the 1930s who moved the manufacturing facilities to Charlestown, NH.# Although no longer in business as a seperate entity, Kaba Ilco Corp. still owns the brand and has sold some key blanks under the Keil marque.

*From Laurie Simon's Simon-Says website
    #Adapted from Locks and Lockmakers of America, Rev. 3rd Ed. by Thomas F. Hennessy

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information