Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Help needed identiying age of key

This key belongs to a door lock in my house. The lock body is made of oak, which the iron mechanism inset in the wooden block. Any ideas of the age of the key and lock would be appreciated. We have other typically 18th C metal locks with typical 18th C keys on other doors, but this keys is different and very intricate and fits a large wooden lock.

Thanks, Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0709.jpg   IMAG0708.jpg  

That's potentially an interesting key, typical in style to the Georgian period. Unfortunately the pictures are not quite sharp to determine if its original to this time period. Whilst posting some clearer pictures a picture of the lock you refer to would also greatly assist and would undoubtedly bring further comments/observations.

Default Help needed identifying old lock and key.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post
    That's potentially an interesting key, typical in style to the Georgian period. Unfortunately the pictures are not quite sharp to determine if its original to this time period. Whilst posting some clearer pictures a picture of the lock you refer to would also greatly assist and would undoubtedly bring further comments/observations.
    Dear Brian, Here are some slightly better photos (best my phone will do) with the lock. It is definitely period to the house which is 18th C. I am hoping that more accurately dating the lock to a point in the 18th C would help date the house.

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0717.jpg   IMAG0718.jpg   IMAG0719.jpg   IMAG0712.jpg   IMAG0714.jpg  

Thread Information