Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Unlocking Grecian PO Box Door

I just purchased several Grecian style combination lock post office doors and am wondering if there is a tutorial anywhere for decrypting the combinations for these locks or 'resetting' them to a new combination so the doors can be made functional.

I looked in the book list on the ALCA website but the Mundy books on post office locks are not anywhere to be found for purchase. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! :D

Default Re: Unlocking Grecian PO Box Door

You will have to give more info... I don't know what you are describing and by the looks of the replies, no one else does. Can we have some photos?

What country are you in?

R

I also have a Grecian PO Box that I received as a gift. If any one can find a tutorial or has any expertise on opening one it would be very appreciated!!! I attached a few photos if that helps :D 02

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04482.JPG   DSC04483.JPG  

these locks are a three number combination.Right to first number,Left past first number to second number,Right to third number, then turn knob counter clockwise and open door. To find the number, look at the back of the lock.As you turn to the right you'll see a notch appear in the wheel.STOP. Now turn in the opposite direction till the second wheel notch lines up with the first,STOP. Now turn in the opposite direction till the third wheel notch alligns with the other three, STOP . The door must be standing upright like it would be if it was mounted, Now turn the knob counter clockwise and pull it open. If this dosn't work on the first attempt, try going through the number sequence again putting the notch a little further left or right. You should be able to figure it out. Good luck ,let me know how it works for you. Mark

P.S. If the door is already mounted in a wood bank box ,you can take a stiff coat hanger and feed it down through the coin slot and catch the screw on the plunger rod and slide the rod to the right to open the door.I've opened several of these and figured the combos on many more. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default hello

I've been following thread and tried the method you mentioned, but I can't seem to catch the screw on the plunger rod.

is there any other method that I can try?

Attached are some pics of the lock from inside the door. I don't think posting these pics will breach any security as you would have to have the door open to change the combo. For those wanting to figure out their combos to make little banks out of these doors,pay attention. These are 3 wheel Ergo 3 letter combos. The usual sequence is Right to first letter,Left past first letter to second letter,Right to last letter.Note that it dosn't always have to land on a letter,sometimes it will split two letters. If you look at the pics, you'll notice a small notch on the outer rim of the wheel opposite the large notch that the dog goes into. When you turn the knob on the front you can observer when the small notch lines up with the notch on the door( looking down at the top of the lock). When the notch lines up look at the front and see what letter it matches. Turn the knob the opposite direction past the first letter till the small notch on the second wheel lines up with the notch on the first wheel and the notch on the door and again look at the front and see what letter it is. Now turn in the opposite direction till the small notch on the third wheel line up with the other two and the notch on the door and see what letter it is. Now you know the combo, just turn the lower knob counter clockwise and pull the door open. I hope I haven't confused anyone. Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mail Box lock 001.jpg   Mail Box lock 002.jpg   Mail Box lock 003.jpg   Mail Box lock 004.jpg  

Default Need more info for opening post office box bank

Quote Originally Posted by alsoinneed View Post
    I also have a Grecian PO Box that I received as a gift. If any one can find a tutorial or has any expertise on opening one it would be very appreciated!!! I attached a few photos if that helps :D 02

Thanks!
    I have an old post office box bank that I bought at a garage sale. Can't open it because the combination was not provided. It's the Grecian type with one dial. I've tried the listed suggestions but nothing seems to open it. Please help.

Thread Information