Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Unlocking Grecian PO Box Door

I just purchased several Grecian style combination lock post office doors and am wondering if there is a tutorial anywhere for decrypting the combinations for these locks or 'resetting' them to a new combination so the doors can be made functional.

I looked in the book list on the ALCA website but the Mundy books on post office locks are not anywhere to be found for purchase. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! :D

Default hello

I've been following thread and tried the method you mentioned, but I can't seem to catch the screw on the plunger rod.

is there any other method that I can try?

Attached are some pics of the lock from inside the door. I don't think posting these pics will breach any security as you would have to have the door open to change the combo. For those wanting to figure out their combos to make little banks out of these doors,pay attention. These are 3 wheel Ergo 3 letter combos. The usual sequence is Right to first letter,Left past first letter to second letter,Right to last letter.Note that it dosn't always have to land on a letter,sometimes it will split two letters. If you look at the pics, you'll notice a small notch on the outer rim of the wheel opposite the large notch that the dog goes into. When you turn the knob on the front you can observer when the small notch lines up with the notch on the door( looking down at the top of the lock). When the notch lines up look at the front and see what letter it matches. Turn the knob the opposite direction past the first letter till the small notch on the second wheel lines up with the notch on the first wheel and the notch on the door and again look at the front and see what letter it is. Now turn in the opposite direction till the small notch on the third wheel line up with the other two and the notch on the door and see what letter it is. Now you know the combo, just turn the lower knob counter clockwise and pull the door open. I hope I haven't confused anyone. Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mail Box lock 001.jpg   Mail Box lock 002.jpg   Mail Box lock 003.jpg   Mail Box lock 004.jpg  

Thread Information