Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Identification help for a newby

I just bought this old padlock from an estate in upstate New York. It is very large -- 9.5" across the top bit, 7.5" from top to bottom 1.5" thick. I have been trying to find out about the style and age, but other than a picture of a similar lock on the Wikipedia padlock page captioned that it is an "Early padlock style, on the front gates of St. Peter's Basilica", I have not been able to come up with anything. I would very much appreciate it if anyone tell me what this style of padlock this is, the period it was commonly made, and if it had any particular use. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3142B.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	768.9 KB 
ID:	11488

You have acquired a very nice lock. The fact that it has the original key enhances its value.
    American collectors usually refer to this type as a gate lock. In Britain, it's usually called a bar lock or south american bar lock. (I did not capitalize deliberately because it refers to a style rather than geographic location.) Many of these locks were made for export. Does the lock have any markings? Richard Hodson & Son of Willenhall, England was one lock maker that made this type lock. It's age appears to be early or mid 19th century.
    Hope this info is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klemm View Post
    You have acquired a very nice lock. The fact that it has the original key enhances its value.
    American collectors usually refer to this type as a gate lock. In Britain, it's usually called a bar lock or south american bar lock. (I did not capitalize deliberately because it refers to a style rather than geographic location.) Many of these locks were made for export. Does the lock have any markings? Richard Hodson & Son of Willenhall, England was one lock maker that made this type lock. It's age appears to be early or mid 19th century.
    Hope this info is helpful.
    Thanks for the info Scott! No markings whatsoever that I can see. I had assumed it was handwrought as I acquired it in a rural area where the farmers once made pretty much all that they needed. Also, it has a rough, unpolished quality about it. May I ask what you think the value might be?

Your question is hard to answer. Unlike stamps and coins, there are no catalogs listing antique lock prices. Ultimately it's worth only as much as someone is willing to pay. I think its large size and nice key would attract buyers. My guess is between 50 and 100 U.S. dollars. Of course it could go much higher if you're selling it on ebay and 2 people get into a bidding war.
    In spite of its rough appearance and finding it in a rural area, I personally don't think it was locally made. Perhaps an early immigrant brought it with him.

Thread Information